• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some advice for coil rear end conversion

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
i picked up a zj with a fair amount of lift and 35's over the weekend. the plan was to swap the dana 44 and suspension over to my xj, which would involve converting to coils.i have a concern....the exhaust. it seems the upper control arm or whatever you'd call it would make exhaust work difficult, so i'm wondering what you guys would do. Right now, the zj just has a dump pipe right after the cat, but i'd prefer a muffler. I have a flowmaster on my xj at the moment, with the factory pipes. Anyone have any experience with this? See pics below.
6575548943_2cbd46d637_b.jpg

I just have a dump ,but may route out a real exhaust ...but this pic is of a friends with triangulated 4-link rear and you can see the exhaust routes through fender well...I've seen it and it clears very well... the 39-iroks do not even come close on full compression .I live in the hills so I don't need to worry about exhaust routing to please the folks on the emissions dyno , but he does...lol

9777-coney-flats-9-20-2009-huge-mud-pit-look-chinakee-flex-whats-up-now-no-cherokees-can-flex-like.jpg

Last edited:
very sweet! thanks! how do you like the 4 link? curious if it will be worth the effort. half the reason for going this route is because since i have it all, it would be cheaper than lifting it with leafs.

run the pipe over the driveshaft into the tunnel, then back over and put your muffler (a small one probably) between the upper and lower arm in that nice little void there.

rockclimber, you dont think it would interfere with the driveshaft inside the tunnel?

very sweet! thanks! how do you like the 4 link? curious if it will be worth the effort. half the reason for going this route is because since i have it all, it would be cheaper than lifting it with leafs.

I like it ,but leafs out back worked very well b4 the 4-link ...But It does plant better traction now and has some advantages on leafs , But it's all preference ...and it costs far less to buy leafs and burn on a set of leaf pearches ...What are you looking do for tire size/ wheelbase ?

Why not keep the ZJ ...is it already a V8 ?.

Last edited:
rockclimber, you dont think it would interfere with the driveshaft inside the tunnel?

it's hard to say without seeing it in person, but I know my driveshaft doesn't go all the way up there anymore.

it depends how much uptravel you have and how much bumpstopping you do.

I like it ,but leafs out back worked very well b4 the 4-link ...But It does plant better traction now and has some advantages on leafs , But it's all preference ...and it costs far less to buy leafs and burn on a set of leaf pearches ...What are you looking do for tire size/ wheelbase ?

Why not keep the ZJ ...is it already a V8 ?.
there isnt much of the zj left, swapping everything onto my xj would be far less work. they're both 4 litres, my xj is a manual trans.
leaf pearches would be easy, but still i'd have to buy leafs which isnt cheap. i was planning on running the 35's that came on the zj, so i think i'd have to bump it up to about 5.5-6" of lift. wheelbase should be fairly stock. i thought about bringing the rear axle back an inch so i have less limitations with trimming by the rear doors. is this a bad idea? right now the distance from the transfer case to the axle is about an inch shorter on my xj than the zj, so i figured if i brought it back an inch, i could use the whole SYE and driveshaft from the zj as well.

it's hard to say without seeing it in person, but I know my driveshaft doesn't go all the way up there anymore.

it depends how much uptravel you have and how much bumpstopping you do.
yea, i guess i can let it down with no springs in it to see what hits first, and then i can figure out how much room i'll have left in the tunnel at that point.

there isnt much of the zj left, swapping everything onto my xj would be far less work. they're both 4 litres, my xj is a manual trans.
leaf pearches would be easy, but still i'd have to buy leafs which isnt cheap. i was planning on running the 35's that came on the zj, so i think i'd have to bump it up to about 5.5-6" of lift. wheelbase should be fairly stock. i thought about bringing the rear axle back an inch so i have less limitations with trimming by the rear doors. is this a bad idea? right now the distance from the transfer case to the axle is about an inch shorter on my xj than the zj, so i figured if i brought it back an inch, i could use the whole SYE and driveshaft from the zj as well.

What t-case is in the ZJ ?

35's will fit with axle not moved back at all .. at 5-6 lift 37's probably not needed either ,but at most 1-inch ...just cut/fold rear 1/4 panel and the usual fold of fender lip will make room for these tires ...also with with a shackle on the leaf your axle will move back some under compression ,so keep that in mind and flex b4 hacking.

I'd stick with 35's and read up on junk-yard leafs for a bastard pack ...But a set of Rusty's leafs or Rough country work just fine and don't cost $700.00 and search local for used leafs .

231amc
yea, im still leaning towards the 3 link swap since i have everything. but good to know 5-6 will clear with only trimming/bending, thanks for the info!

Back