• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake help

JD Cravin

NAXJA Forum User
Ive done a search and followed some advice contianed therein but to no avail...

Just finished my lift and went to bleed my brakes, the pedal still feels spongy no matter how many times we bleed them. We've gone through almost 2 large bottles of brake fluid, all the fluid is replaced now.

I relaced everything to do with my rear drums and adjusted them and the e brake...still spongy.

I'm assuming air somehow got into the master cylinder when we put the new braided lines on...

I'm at a loss and need some help. Is there a way to bleed the MC while still in the Jeep?

Every search says to bench bleed the MC but I really don't want to remove it.

Any help would be welcome.

Ive done a search and followed some advice contianed therein but to no avail...

Just finished my lift and went to bleed my brakes, the pedal still feels spongy no matter how many times we bleed them. We've gone through almost 2 large bottles of brake fluid, all the fluid is replaced now.

I relaced everything to do with my rear drums and adjusted them and the e brake...still spongy.

I'm assuming air somehow got into the master cylinder when we put the new braided lines on...

I'm at a loss and need some help. Is there a way to bleed the MC while still in the Jeep?

Every search says to bench bleed the MC but I really don't want to remove it.

Any help would be welcome.
You got it!

Crack open the line closest to the booster. Have someone push the pedal down while the line is open. Do not pump the pedal just push it down. Then close the line and let up off the pedal. Repeat for the other line. Do this a few times for each line. Then go hit all four corners again. If this doesnt help try bench bleeding the master.

Thanks for the replies gents,

I found the problem...I had the front calipers on the wrong side so that the bleeder valve was too low. Couldn't get the air bubble out. :doh: :dunce:

Anyway, all good now. lol

Lol I didn't know that could be done.

You did not mention if you replaced the old rubber flex lines with new, extended brake lines? When the rubber olds get old and soft, they swell up and expand like balloons when you press down the pedel. Replacing these with some good quality one's makes a big differance. Also, check your front calipers to be sure that the pistons are not hanging up. Depending on how you bled/flushed out your brake system, if you got any dirty contaminated fluid left in calipers it hangs up the piston slightly. As a result, you have to press more firmly on the pedel during braking and you are compressing the fluid in the reservior making it feel spongy when all you are doing is compressing the fluid. Use a power bleeder from Motive Products to flush out your system and power bleed your brakes. This will ensure you get all the air and dirty fluid out.

Back