• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear main seal removal

vickin

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

Just wondering if there are any tricks or advice someone can tell me on how to remove the in block part of the rear main seal? It is not moving for me.

Thank you.

If you already have not done so...

Remove the girdle, that covers the crank / bearing caps.
Loose all the bearing cap bolts, a turn or two; but don't remove them.

This will relieve pressure the crank is putting on the rear main seal. Be sure to use a brass drift punch to remove the RMS. You can buy some 1/8" brass rod at the hardware store.

Tap both ends of the seal if it doesn't break free immediately, but it should at this point...

Thanks bud. Yea I think I have to loosen some more bearing caps. I did not want to do this but I guess I have to. Stores are closed today. I have to wait until tomorrow to buy a brass punch. Thanks for the tip on the brass rod. I didnt know they sold it like that. Will report back.

I finally removed the seal. As a few posters said, I had to loosen the caps. I took a 1/8" brass rod that I found at hardware store, and tapped that sob right out of there. Should be pretty easy putting everything back together. Hopefully, no more oil slicked driveway. Thanks everyone.

For installation, I would recomend making a little shoe horn install tool out of a straw. Cut a a section of the straw a few inches long, then cut the tip of the straw so that it comes to a point, then cut a slit on one side along the direction of the axis. Insert the RMS half into the straw, then use the straw to protect it from the sharp corners of the groove while you try getting it to start into the groove.

I also used a little oil on the crank side of the seal, and then dishwasher detergent on the outside of the seal to lubricate it. Worked well.

Back