• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud squeal and voltage drop

Pats94XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. If I was at home, I could just use JF. But the work comp has it blocked.

The problem I am having is that when I have the headlights on and maybe the heater, I will get a squealing sound from the belt and the voltmeter will drop to about 11v.

Sometimes this will even happen with just the headlights on and that's it.

The belt is only 5 months old and is tightened pretty good. Alternator is a upgraded 136 amp out of a GC with 100k on it. Battery is maybe a year old.

Terminals on battery are clean.

Don't know where to look to next. I am getting no CELs. The most likely thing to me would be the alternator going bad. But I am not getting a check engine light, so I don't know.

Also, when it starts squealing and I rev it to try to get it back up, It does nothing. Stays the same until I turn off the headlights or whatever accessory I am using.

The battery is just a crap valuecraft from Autozone as I am saving for a Optima red top. I have seen these go bad even being new.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Check pulleys and you mentioned that the belt is "tightened pretty good"; on an XJ the belt likes to be tightened down as if by Thor himself..

The power steering pump is about 5 months as well as the idler pulley. Water pump is about a year old. A/c pulley is good shape. I knew the belt needed to be tightened alot. I'll tighten the belt a little more when I get out. However, this problem just started like a month ago. Haven't worried since I haven't had the heater on much. But, with winter coming, I would rather fix it now.

The belt is pretty tight. The same as I usually do it on my other Jeep. But, it wouldn't hurt to try tightening it a little more.

Also, if you have the defrost on when this is happening, it could be the AC condenser..

If that is the thing that is in front of the radiator, it is gone. The only thing that I have remaining from the A/C system is the compressor itself. Everything else was taken out and junked when I did OBA.

When I get off in 40 mins I'll jump out there and tighten it a little more. I don't know if I should note that I have the pulleys set up to the 97+ routing. I had to do this to utilize the 99-01 intake and ps pump I have.

Your belt isn't tight enough. That's it.

Along with the belt and/or pulleys are no good. Tighten the belt first. If that do not help, remove and inspect the belt for wear, breaks and shiny/glazed spots.

Don't guess on the belt tension, go buy a KR2 belt gauge from NAPA for $10

And just because the belt is slipping doesn't mean it's too loose. Could be one of the accessories locking up. I'm afraid you'll have to actually pull over and TAKE A LOOK to see what's going on.

Belts do stretch when they break in so you might have to tighten it again. I usually tighten alittle, put water on the belt, start the motor cold and check for squalling. start over until no more squalling.

Back