• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you guys running for exhaust?

Icemans

NAXJA Forum User
Im in need of a new exhaust system. I am going to buy a universal kit or buy some bends from punks and make my own system. Im just wondering what you guys are running for a muffler and or kits. Im looking for something a little louder than stock but not by much. I dont want the drone noise in the cab. Well post up im in need of some suggestions.

You've got a late model. Keep it stock, quiet, and comfortable. ;)

Flowmaster does make a hell of a muffler though. I dragged my old one across a rock or nineteen, and it held up great. Still in use today.

It's generally accepted that the louder a vehicles exhaust is, the less intelligent the driver is.

had a flowmaster 40 and 2.5" exhaust on the mj, way too loud and obnixouse. scabbed on my xj 2.25" catback with a flomaster 50 series. alot mellower and comfortable to drive.

I believe 2.25" for a basically stock 4.0 or 2.5" for a modified 4.0.
Pick your favorite muffler than will hold up to the abuse you expect to put it through.

Michael

I have a Napa special, It sounds good at idle, as soon as you move off idle is quiet as a stock exhaust. I agree, keep it quiet. I'm an old fart though I use to like loud exhaust, now that Im old I like it nice and quiet, so I can sneak up on you youngsters.
:)

You've got a late model. Keep it stock, quiet, and comfortable. ;)

Flowmaster does make a hell of a muffler though. I dragged my old one across a rock or nineteen, and it held up great. Still in use today.

it will only last so long.... i run the dynomax catback. works well. cant hear it in the jeep. but out back it sounds way different.

Bronze.

Dynomax catback for me, too. They run some pretty decent specials/rebates if you watch for the sales. I think I got a $75 rebate when I got mine. Not stoopid loud, but sounds pretty good from the rear as stated above.

my exhaust fell off so i have none after the cat. i dont recommend it. it sounds bitchin when crawling around on the trail, but at speed its pretty loud. and everyone can hear you coming for miles. ill probably end up going 40 series with no cat at some point. and dump the exhaust. will be a little quieter, but still on the loud end of things. Id rather hear the exhaust than the motor, which is why I tend to go down this route.

Funny you ask, I am hopefully going to be getting the XJ in the exhaust shop. I am going to be running 2.5" from the header back coupled with a Magnaflow Cat and a Lawson turbo muffler. I cant wait to hear it!

not to be "that guy", but cats still are required for the hwy...

anyways, here was my banks torque tube with 2.5" pipe, no cat, flowmaster 40 cut above the axle. retarded loud, literally vibrated things in the house when it was warming up in the morning, my poor neighbors :roflmao: very happy its off now

CLICK BeLoW

Wow thanks for all the response. I really want to keep it simple and quite. I can't keep it stock because the cat drives me nuts and the muffler is about to fall apart. I like a deep tone (but not with some separation not like a Honda) but when I get into it I don't want it loud. I had a Dakota with a 40 series and it wasn't bad but it did get loud. I was looking at the Dynomax or a Magnaflow but haven’t decided yet.

Funny you ask, I am hopefully going to be getting the XJ in the exhaust shop. I am going to be running 2.5" from the header back coupled with a Magnaflow Cat and a Lawson turbo muffler. I cant wait to hear it!

I can't wait to here yours. I really like that muffler I'm just afraid it's going to be load. I won't make a decision until I here yours for sure.

When did it become ok to openly discuss removing the cat?

in my post, the happy its off was refering to to 2.5" and 40 series. it now has cat, 2.25" and 50 series. dunno it that post was refering to me but just clairfying

Borla stainless cat back system, The salt water exposure my jeep gets had me replacing the Muffler/tailpipe every 2 years. The Borla seems to be holding up fine.

Back