• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I re-flush my radiator?

jamesonw23

NAXJA Forum User
So a few months ago I swapped my 2000 XJ's radiator with a CSF heavy duty 3 row. When I refilled it, I put in Dexcool which I recently found out is a big no. So the other day I flushed it with the garden hose by unplugging both the upper and lower hoses and basically letting water cycle through until it was clear. I ran it several times and let it get to running temp. I also ran some flush throught it and disconnected the overfill and flushed that as well. I replaced my thermostat and water pump to. My question is, should I redo the flush using the kit made by Prestone that comes with the tees to tap into the heater core hoses or did I most likely get everything out already? Thank you. -James

Sounds like by unhooking the upper and lower hoses you did not fluck the engine or heater core of coolant. Just drain the fluid, fill it up with water pour in the flush from prestone then while it is running and cold stick the garden hose back in the overflow open the drain and run till everything is clean.

You don't need the kit to do the flush. I open the petcock on the radiator, disconnect one heater hose at a time and flush both ways. The easiest way is to disconnect them at the heater control valve.

You don't need the kit to do the flush. I open the petcock on the radiator, disconnect one heater hose at a time and flush both ways. The easiest way is to disconnect them at the heater control valve.

P.S. Do not use the petcock unless you KNOW you're not going to break it.

The OP has a 2000, there isn't a heater control valve... And he should be glad for that.

I have the Prestone Tee installed in the line leading to the core (from the T-Stat housing) and use it to flush the system. Have used this system for years without any problems. Never have had a leak at the fitting either...

I belong to the club of flush the system and replace the coolant every two years. Maybe just because an an old school guy. Or maybe, because I do not want to have any cooling system issues...

Back