• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gen-Right steering pulley vs. OE

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
Installing a Gen-Right pulley on my 97 XJ. OE pump and pulley were removed together - I'm installing the Gen-Right onto a reman direct replacement pump.

First, I measured both pulleys to substantiate the 10% overdrive claim. Using a length of thin twine, I measured the circumference of both pulleys down in the belt grooves.

Gen-Right: 15.5", or 4.93" diameter
OE: 15.9", or 5.06" diameter

All limitations of my methods notwithstanding, I'm finding only about a 2.5% difference between them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Second, while pressing the new pulley on, I found that the correct depth still left .22" before the pulley hub would be flush with the shaft. Your experience may vary, but proceed with caution.

All that said, who here is using a Gen-Right pulley and has noticed a difference?

I've always used a smaller pulley from PSC. I think the stock pulley is 5.5" diameter and PSC sells a 4.5" pulley. It is highly recommended to use the smaller pulley if you have hydro assist steering for better flow just off idle. With assist you can sometimes get a slight lag in the steering when slowing down for a tight corner, as the rpm drops to nearly idle. You loose rpm right at the moment you need good flow to turn quickly. It's a flow thing, not a pressure thing, and the smaller pulley eliminates the problem. I have no idea what effect a smaller pulley would have with out assist.

BTW, for less than you spent on the reman stock pump and the Genright pulley, you could have bought a good performance pump from PSC.

I know this is a little old..
Does anyone know what benefits, if any, you get from a smaller pulley? On an otherwise stock PS system..

I know this is a little old..
Does anyone know what benefits, if any, you get from a smaller pulley? On an otherwise stock PS system..

Spins the pump faster, ever have to give a little throttle to get the tires to turn in a tight spot? Smaller pulley will spin the pump faster as lower RPM.

When I went to 35s I experienced bad PS fade, pretty much no assist on a whole wheeling trip. When I got back I added a small cooler, flushed with royal purple synthetic fluid and added a gen right pulley. Have never had fade again and steering assist is fine when wheeling IMO. I think it was worth while.

Back