• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

0331 - cylinder head what years ?

Sandydog

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to buy another used Jeep. Can someone tell me what year did the Jeep come with the 0331 cylinder heads? I'm shopping for an 02' Grand Cherokee and would like to know if they come with this head on it. Want to avoid it.

Thanks

All 00-01 XJs have the 0331 cylinder head.

There has been a report of a VERY late 1999 that had it, but I have not seen actual confirmation/evidence of that.

Chrysler got this resolved sometime in late 02 from what I've heard. At that time, they started sourcing a redesigned 0331 head from TUPY, a Brazilian foundry. New casting and no problem with it.

The 02 you're interested in will have the 0331, but to know if it is a TUPY head or not, the valve cover would have to come off. On TUPY heads, the word
TUPY is stamped between cylinder 3-4.......not visible from the outside though.

But you only read negatives on the internet. I've had 2 '00 XJs both with over 140k w/o any issues. Current '00 had 184k. Zero issues.

Oh course people are only going to post when they have issues. GF is at 215K on her 01 and no issues. Did have to replace the head gasket but its been awhile since then

Back