• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88XJ Ignition Lock Cylinder Question

CJR

NAXJA Forum User
A few times recently I turned my ignition key to start and nothing. Moved my auto shift lever to check my NSS (cleaned & greased at 385,000mi rebuild) and still nothing. Swapped some relays around and still nothing. Then I noticed my ignition key lock cylinder was about 1/4" out from the plastic. With the key inserted I could move the lock cylinder in and out about 1/4". When I pushed the cylinder lock inward with the key and turned it to start-it started normally. About a month ago I replaced the ignition switch so that is new and adjusted properly

Are ignition key lock cylinders suppose to have this much play? My understanding is that these lock cylinders are either held in place with a depressible retainer clip or a mounting screw. If that's true, then the ignition key lock cylinder should have no play at all. I would guess maybe the lock cylinder retainer broke and I'm not actuating the column rod to the ignition switch unless I push the lock cylinder inward to start. What am I missing here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,

CJR

Sounds like your on the right track. There is a good picture thread on pulling the steering wheel, parts... to replace the lock key cyl mechanism. I would suggest doing that before it hangs up in the run position and will not longer turn off!!!:eyes:

Back