• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ac pump removal

notbob

NAXJA Forum User
Tried searching with no luck. My ac compressor is grinding badly, and I'm looking to bypass it. I have the bypass pulley and a new belt, what exactly is involved as far as the ac lines etc.? Parts guy at napa auto said I don't have to worry about having a shop vac. the system because of the type of refrigerant in my system? Also, can I just disconnect the lines and remove/ install bypass pulley?
2001 cherokee 4.0
Any info/links very much appreciated.

Ps
Looking to fix quick as I travel 4+ hrs to work tomorrow :)

You should NEVER just open your AC lines to the atmosphere, even with R134A.

With that said, if your system is already drained, there is a single 10mm bolt in the middle of the block that holds the AC lines to the compressor. Pull that, and block the lines with a cork, or something, to keep moisture out of them. Pull the four bolts around the compressor, I think they are 13mm, but don't quote me on that. Remove the electrics and pull the compressor free from the Jeep.

Install the bypass pulley in its place.

fin

Yes please do not release the refridgerant to the atmosphere. You'r parts guy is a moron there is a heavy fine if you were to get caught. Have the system recovered many shops will pay you for the refrodgerant or at least recover it free of charge since they turn around and sell it. To the next guy that has their system recharged.

Back