• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sloppy otk steering

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have done the over the knuckle steering conversion. i used the Rusty's hd steering linkage which i already had. i installed the JCR spacer on the right side as directed. it helped . so i made a spacer and installed in the left side. im still not happy. its titchy and loose feeling. yes all the steering tie rods are tight. it still has a little bit of roll even with the spacers. has anyone used the Right Hand drive tie rod flipped over .

inverted t steering is prone to that. the flatter the drag link the less tie rod roll you will have. if you have already done the spacers then thats about as good as it will get without lowering your suspension height. for some reason my rig has virtually no tie rod roll even without the spacers,not sure what im doing right lol

I'm having the same problem.. its a little twitchy. and there is s a small dead-spot.

there is no way around the dead spot with the inverted T.

I am running ruffstuff heims, put urethane spacers on those as well...

hydro assist would help you a lot.

I put a SS on for a while, it knocked down the twitchyness... but it didn't do much so I am not currently running it.

KTM- care to post pics of your setup so maybe we can figure out how to be like you :D

has anyone used the Right Hand drive tie rod flipped over .

Ive done it,it works great.What size TRE did you ream the knuckles for?

KTM- care to post pics of your setup so maybe we can figure out how to be like you :D

the rest of the jeep (whole jeep in fact) has changed since this pic, but its basically the same setup, but with a different ride height and wheel/tires now.

dana44, over the knuckle, waggy drop pitman arm using chevy one ton tre's, no delrin or poly spacers, just the grease boots.

been running it like this since 2007. this was as low as i went with this steering and the dead spot was non-existant.

iroks001.jpg

crappy pic of the current angles. theres a little bit of a dead spot, but nothing i would ever complain about. steering is still plenty responsive

282522_515821320044_226300669_281817_4519168_n.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same setup as Sam. I had the slightest dead spot in mine, but it was more than tolerable. Plenty of response in my steering at the time as well.

Stock waggy arms, stock XJ pitman arm, chevy TREs, and my friend Carmelo gave me some of the so called elusive J10 washers to go under the pass side TRE.

n41902041_31123365_4696748.jpg

I had the same setup as Sam. I had the slightest dead spot in mine, but it was more than tolerable. Plenty of response in my steering at the time as well.

Stock waggy arms, stock XJ pitman arm, chevy TREs, and my friend Carmelo gave me some of the so called elusive J10 washers to go under the pass side TRE.

n41902041_31123365_4696748.jpg

you put your drag link on backwards:moon:

I like those tires. What brand are they?

I follow most/all posts regarding the inverted 'T' steering and the inherent dead spot. I drove a CJ5 years ago. It was a nightmeer keeping it pointed the right way going down an unpaved country road,...Caribbean road. I think I will keep the OEM type inverted 'Y' while upgrading it to the 1 ton tie rods and TRE.

two of them are :moon:

Yes, the rear tires are different. The front ones are the ones I like.

Irocks ay? I will do a search for them.

Yes, the rear tires are different. The front ones are the ones I like.

Irocks ay? I will do a search for them.

IROKS

i put the rears on the next day lol.

they are alright tires. they were awesome for the money when i got them. less than $200 each for a 36x13.5. price has gone way up since then i believe

So far the biggest change I have had dealing with my steering has been playing with my caster angle. I have about 6 1/2" lift short arm with IRO otk steering no stabilizer and adj trak bar with drop bracket. If caster is off I get serious DW and if its a little off I get some steering feedback dead spot and shake.

Back