• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

plasti-dip spray paint

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Over on f150 forum people are talking about painting there wheels and lower body panels with plasti-dip spray paint. I guess like we do with the bedliner products, does anyone over here on NAXJA have experience with doing this?

I used it to paint a bumper once. Works pretty good but, like anything it has it's limitations.

Was more durable than I expected and peals instead of getting scratched.

painted my 4 wheeler fenders with it, basically spray on rubber, very elastic, hates sticks rocks and GASOLINE turns to crap when it touches that. pretty cool stuff tho

Over on f150 forum people are talking about painting there wheels and lower body panels with plasti-dip spray paint. I guess like we do with the bedliner products, does anyone over here on NAXJA have experience with doing this?

I've used NAPA's Martin Senour #4004 Stone Guard aerosol. It comes in multiple colors, and it even tintable in store. I used "Carbon Black" only.

It is a factory stone chip guard that is used on rocker panels on multiple vehicles. It can be painted over, and touched up easy if you actually do manage to sratch it up.

Do a search on "Jeep NAPA #4004 Stone Guard" on any jeep/wrangler forum for multiple threads with pictures on people doing flares, grills, rockers, bumpers, and even roof racks.

It ends up looking like LineX if you take the time to do it right.

I plati-dip'd my emblems on my F250 a while back. The cool part is that it peels off. You can't mask a sharp line though, it will peel with the masking tape.

377543_293973387314746_100001062607943_1035243_414853479_n.jpg

ive used plastidip for a ton of stuff including the wheels on my old fusion. was great stuff and as others said, it peels right off if you dont score the surface first. sure it adheres a little better if you do, but then it probably wouldnt peel of as easily. and it is easily abe to be touched up.

Alright thx for the responses

I'm bringing this back from the dead...

The heep is getting prepped for plastidip and I was curious if other people have used it on this forum, but it doesn't seem too popular. I'm doing the front and rear end caps, stock bumpers, grill, and fender flares with the stuff.

Supplies include (in no particular order):
-120 to 200 grit sanding sponges (from Harbor fright)
-rubbing alcohol
-clean towels
-dawn dish soap
-6 total replacement bolts/nuts for the lower end cap mounts (broke 3 of 4 total removing them) and 2 rivets on the air dam mount
-4 cans plastidip
-Large Notecards (3"x5" I think)
-Blue painters tape
-Old sheets/blankets (for easy overspray coverage)

Until I get the money, this Jeep is more of a preservation/restoration until I get the money to lift it further.

do it when it's cool out, and in the shade. if it dries to fast it will get orange peely instead of a smooth satin finish.

I plastidipped my faded grill insert and headlight bezels, as well as the emblems. Only prep was warm, soapy water for the grill and wind ex on the emblems. Four coats I believe, its held up great.

I did my lower panels a couple months back

CAB486D7-7B40-4901-84A8-EC032EEE585C-623-000000BC8C4787FB_zps33a1c8f5.jpg

Only prep I did was washing it, then masking at the body line and flares. Should have done the flares too, and I probably will at some point so they match better.

Only tip I have is if you're doing any lines with tape, pull the tape way earlier than you think you should or it will tear a bit. I've got a few bad spots at the lines as a result. But you can use a razor blade to help out on the lines if it starts pulling the dip.

no need for sanding, just make sure its frease of grease or chemicals, did the chrome bumpers of my f250 with it

734308_10200162051707012_981009858_n.jpg

100_1473.JPG

I had seen the youtube videos and talked to a guy at work about spraying the entire vehicle with plastidip. The mistake I made was using the white plastidip. I sprayed the front half of my MJ, then decided to peel it all back off. If you get any dirt or smudges on white plastidip, it's there to stay. You can't wash the stuff. And since I only had about 3-4 light coats, it doesn't peel off very easily. If you have it on really thick, it would peel off more easily. So it was a very long, tedious process to get it all off.

Long story short, go with black.

I did a set of Ravine wheels that I put on the XJ. I cleaned them with simple green and then wiped them down with acetone.

Here they are on the XJ:

I found that mineral spirits will dissolve it, so if you need to repair scratches or clean off the thin spots it works good. It also needs to be warm. I did the rims on my car and heated the cans so it fogged them. Now the vhrome looks like gunmetal.

Back