• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help and opinions from you pros please

shhuskins

NAXJA Forum User
1989 XJ Chevy 350 turbo 350 tranny 8.5 in lift 35's runs good has DW surely I can't go wrong for 1500 right?? I have done zero research on XJ's with 350's any particular thing i should be leary of or make sure to check out?? Thanks in advance

it could be done right...

or it cold be a pile of crap.

motor swaps open up a whole new can of worms, and id think itd be even more of a PITA not knowing exactly what the previous owner did to the rig.

X2. "Its like a box of chocolates",except all you know for sure is that there is suposed to be chocolates in the box.

8.25 29 spline dana 30 NP231 and no 1500 is talked WAY down he "says" the motor and trans were bolt completely rebuilt before he bought it so that have around 2k on them who knows. If i buy it it would 100% just be a toy so if it took some figurin out how to put the worms back in the can I think I'm ok with that. In the pictures it looks like a clean swap.

Upgraded axle shafts? Gears? Lockers? Good lift or mickey mouse?

Hard to tell, could be a decent buy, could be Pandora's Box.

8.25 is WAY too tall. If he did the motor swap right, it could be pretty nice if lowered down a bit. If the motor swap was a hackjob, you are going to hate your life.

well I bought it. the motor and trans are STOUT to say the least. The motor swap definatly apears to be done right. Also a new Holley 720? sitting on it. I agree stock D30/C8.25 is rediculous I'm avidly searching for a 9 inch and D44 or something along those lines. But I think for $1500 it's the most fun little buggy i have had yet. And a real damn head turner even with just the primered paint. Will post pics soon.

8.25 is WAY too tall. If he did the motor swap right, it could be pretty nice if lowered down a bit. If the motor swap was a hackjob, you are going to hate your life.
think he was saying it has a chrysler 8.25 rear axle
edit: just went back and read, didnt see the 8.5" lift part..

Also this thing has 100% ZERO rust which will I can't stop being amazed about. My 96 has some and my 98 Is a dang rust bucket. It's awesome.

I'd say lower this to around 5.5 inchs at most and add a better pair of axles and some plating and this thing will be a beast.

I promise I have been using the hell out of the search function. But I have yet to really find what I'm after. What year wagoneer would be the most ideal to do the least work to and bolt them up?? I am sort of new to axle swaps and mod's any help at all will be greatly appreciated. I know a stock d44 isn't exactly the strongest but i also don't have that much cash to spend. I know most will say save my pennies and make them count but There are a few Waggys at my local pull a part and I'm pretty good friends with the fellow and he normally gives me a good discount. Thank you very much.

What is your plans for this? A healthy SBC350 will eat d44's and 8.8 if your sticking big tires on it, I know the terrain of WNC, lots of full throttle assaults at obstacles because of the mud on the rocks. I say do 1tons and 38-42's hehe

Its on 35's right now and I definately plan to keep it that way. . The biggest it would ever see under my ownership would be 37's But i definately doubt it. Long term goal is definately to have it on tons. . like i said long term. . i do not and will not anytime soon have the capitol for that. In the mean time i'll just drive it keeping my weaker axles in mind. I like to have fun offroad. . but still be able to drive it home. I think surely a 8.8 rear D44 front 4.56 or 4.88 should last me at least to get my moneys worth out of the swap?? Or no? As long as I keep in mind I'm not on tons when I'm hitting the skinny peddle.

Jeep-1.jpg

Just snapped a cell picture this morning in the rain. . But it's better than nothing.

I'm waiting for all this dang rain to stop while i'm not at work so I can get some better pictures. . And I'm 100% planning on losing the Snaggers lol I can't believe somebody would put those on but owell to each their own!!

Back