• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pull the plug?

Burt Gummer

NAXJA Forum User
Got what may be the final bad news on my hard-luck 99: body shop says the rust has spread from around the windshield through much of the roof. They want to replace the whole top -- for about $3K. Seems to me that I may be at the point where I chalk this one up to experience, part out the POS and look for a better one.
I can take a joke as well as anyone, but when you have to replace both differentials, the brakes and half the body, I find it hard to keep smiling. Add the cost of repairs to the purchase price, and we are looking at serious money. Should I introduce my friendly local used-car dealer to Cousin Guido?

No way is an old 99 worth that kind of money for body work. Much as I like the 99 model year in particular, there are enough others out there without such serious roof rot, that you'd be wasting your money.

However, you should give some consideration to how much rust there really is, and what you envision the future life of this Jeep to be. Remember, a body shop sees only bad and good, nothing in between. Does the rust threaten to put holes in the roof, or is it just ugly? Can a windshield be reasonably sealed if you clean it up and repaint? A rusty flange is nothing new, and you can scrape and prime and clean that up pretty well if it isn't eaten away too badly. If you have the vehicle already, if it's in good mechanical shape, and if you don't mind its being something of a beater, you could still justify a couple of hundred bucks for a windshield, and not worry too much if you have to patch the roof with bondo for a couple of years.

With that said, I will mention that roof rust and bad windshield bonding were big factors in the retirement of my 95. With 260+ thousand miles and other major rust it just wasn't worth the hassle. The roof had real open holes which leaked when it rained and I had to put a tarp over the driver's seat when I parked it, and the windshield, even after replacement and an attempt to clean up the rusty flange, leaked air so badly it was impossible to get heat to the passenger side in winter. If it's that bad, it's probably quitting time.

Wow I had an 85 and there wasn't a spec of rust around the windshrild or the roof. Can u see rust on the roof? Was the windshield leaking? What caused you take it to the body shop anyways?
If the roof and the windshield's trash just cut off the top and pit in a cage and go wheeling.

I say use it for parts and drive south to pick up a rust free ride. I seldom see rust at all on local purchased/owned XJ's, even on suspension bolts etc.

I know you said in your other post that you had a 1000 mile warranty that you've since exceeded but look into the lemon laws in the state that you purchased the vehicle in. Sounds like you might have a way to reclaim some of the money you've put into the vehicle.

It's pretty common around these parts for a 97 and up to rust at the front edge of the gutter above the upper left hand corner of the windshield as this is the "Street side".

If you let it rot and not fix it, a hole develops that let's more in.

To me, it sound like an excuse to learn body work. Remember a body shop needs to warranty it's work. You don't.

Do you want the fixed roof to look pretty and shiny or do you just want to stop the rust and stay dry ? If you just want to stay dry, sandblast the rust and brush paint the bare metal. You can get roll on pickup truck bed liner in colors. Once you have the rust halted and the holes plugged with epoxy cement or fiberglass body filler, you can make the roof all one color/texture. If you want it all pretty, grab your check book.

If the roof's that bad, imagine the rocker panels, floor boards and rear wheel wells.

Back