• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head bolt placement

SicNastyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so thanks so far to all the answered questions while building the 4.0 in my 2001 XJ.

Next question, what is the proper placement for the head bolts?? There are seven that have threads above the bolt head, 2 with solid "rods" above the bolt head and 5 that are just the regular bolts.

And where can i get a socket to fit these bolt heads???

i bought a 12 pt, 1/2 drive 1/2 inch deep socket from sears, and drilled its inside out with a 7/16 cobalt bit from home depot.

I had to drill it out for the head bolts that look like studs, or it wouldnt grab the whole head of the bolt.

I replaced the head on my 00 2 months ago.

if the head's front is on the left

12, 8, 4, 1, 5, 9, 13
11, 7 ,3 ,2 ,6 ,10, 14

POSITION DESCRIPTION
1,4,5,12,13 1/2 in.-13 BOLT
8,9 1/2 in.-13 BOLT WITH DOWEL
POINT
2,3,6,7,10,11,14 1/2 in.-13 WITH 7/16 in.-14 STUD
END
All bolts are 12 point drives for rocker cover clearance

Last edited:
The 7 with the threads above the bolt go on the driver side (manifold side). That is where the wiring loom thing for the injector wiring hooks to as well as the rear ground strap. The two with the small studs on top are for locating the valve cover gasket. They go in the second from front and second from back locations.

I also use the 12 point deep socket from sears, but I didn't have to drill mine out. Its the only time I use that socket.

Don't forget to use the correct torque sequence and steps and that the first one on the driver's side gets thread sealant.

Back