• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle chart?

bigalpha

Is there a handy dandy chart that shows all the axle options (upgrades) for the XJ?

I know a lot of websites have charts but there's no all inclusive one.

Apparently my first post wasn't clear enough.

I'm looking for a chart for axle UPGRADES, not the stock axles that came in XJs.

No, it's not clear enough.

Are you looking for axleSHAFT upgrades? Entire axle assemblies?

If you're looking for assemblies, are you looking for aftermarket bolt-in axle assemblies?

Literally any axle can be adapted to fit under the XJ with a welder and some brackets.

It's completely unclear.

I am looking for a chart of axles (not axle shafts) that are used to upgrade the axles in XJs. Sure, you can stick probably any axle under the XJ but you wouldn't, would you? Doesn't matter if the axle has to be modified to fit.

I've seen XJ's with everything from Toyota axles to 5-tons.

I have a '82 Dodge passenger-drop 60 under mine, and a GM military 14-bolt.

Not really gettin' the need for such a list.

I understood his question just fine...

I think such a list would be handy as a sticky.

Listing which axles are bolt in or with slight modification. I'm sure you could adapt just about any axle to an XJ, but having a consolodated list w/people who have personal experience/modifications necessary to use the axle would be helpful.

Perhaps make it similar to the forum on Cherokeeforum that has Lift setup/pics... except do it with type of axle and modifications needed for it to work etc.

Vette, I could see the "need" for such a list for people looking to upgrade as opposed to 50+ threads of people asking similar questions.

Bolt in or minor modification -

Front -
High Pinion dana 30 with 1-peice shafts might be an upgrade for some XJ's
Rubicon dana 44 is basically bolt in
Waggy dana 44 is stock width but not bolt in

Rear -
Chrysler 8.25" (29 spline) and XJ dana 44 might be an upgrade for some XJ's
Ford 8.8" from an explorer. Later years have larger shafts and disk brakes (I'm going to go to the pick-a-part sunday to help get one of these for a friends TJ)
Ford 9" from some cars, not the F150. Although most are weaker 28 spline.

Common upgrades for custom and full width builds -

Front -
d44, d50, jk44, d60, rockwells

Rear -
d44, d60, d70, c9.25, sterling 10.25, 14 bolt, rockwells, etc

Last edited:
ktm, for a second I thought maybe you were using a sarcastic tone... then checked to see who the thread starter was.

And yes, he's awesome. :wave1:

Back