• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bushwacker Flairs

kevswens20

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing the cut out bushwacker flairs on my '98 XJ and it seems like the only way to get the rear ones to fit correctly is to cut through the pinch weld and then weld it back together. I don't want to cut through the pinch weld, and have been trying not to, but I see no other way. Has anyone else had this issue with the newer xj? I kinda wish bushwacker would have had some kind of disclosure saying you'd need to cut through the pinch weld on there website.

Well, actually they do... they are called instructions.

Bottom line is that if you don't want to get real radical, you do a cut and fold on the wheel opening, then cut the wheel well portion of the BW . I went about 1" from the outside edge to retain stiffness. Unfortunately, that leaves a gap between the body and the flare. Can't be helped if you don't want to cut like the instructions say.

Here is a link I found, with pictures. http://jeepin.com/features/bushwacker/2

We installed a set of them for a friend, we didn't cut the pinch weld. I think what we did was cut the inside of the flair. Ask PAUL AIRHART, it was his jeep that we installed them on.This was over a year ago i think.Look in the so cal desert rat thread for his name an PM him.

I did a set last week. Seemed like it required more cutting at the rear than indicated in the instructions. Thought about trimming the flairs. Seems like that would work but never thought it through. Body seems solid enough still.
CIMG0744.jpg

you guys crack me up .. I gotta start trollin the east coast chapter. Lets see your toys.
CIMG0556.jpg

"Yeah. You know what, yeah, I do. I do want to express myself, okay. And I don't need 37 pieces of flair to do it."

Back