• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions on lift kits

dcampbell98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright well its finally time for me to start thinking about my options for lift kits. Im looking to go anywhere from 3.5" to 4.5" of lift. Which kits are recommended in your opinion. right now im torn between the DPGOffroad 3.5" Ultimate Old Man emu Hybrid kit and the rough country 4.5" kit. I like the idea of the OME shocks and springs but from looking at the parts list it looks like it might be lacking a few things. where as the RC kit seems to have EVERYTHING at around the same price as DPG. at 3.5" of lift would i need the longer control arms, brake lines, and tcase drops. or is that for 4" and above? In the near future i will be getting an SYE and rear driveshaft.

I have a 4.5 RC lift and it has worked well for me. Pretty simple and straight forward. Unless you're going to adjustable arms or long arms I wouldn't spend a fortune on a basic lift.

Wouldn't be a new week without the "which 3.5 to 4.5in lift should I buy" thread.

Fixed it for ya. Punctuation can be your best friend.

To the OP, assuming you are talking about the DPG 3" Delux OME and the RC 4.5" X-series kit since they are the only price comparable kits between the two, OME will have a far better ride than the RC. However, the RC does give you more parts for your money. You don't NEED longer control arms but some adjustable arms will give you the ability to really dial in your front suspension and get the alignment in check. RC has issues with quality control over their products but they have really good customer service and will cover everything and replace just about all of it under warranty to the original buyer of the products. If it were me I wouldn't spend the DPG price on such a small amount of parts. But some may see a greater value there so to each their own I guess. Thats my .02 cents.

thanks everyone for the feed back. iv taken it all into consideration and im leaning towards the RC 4.5" x series. like mentioned DPG is expensive and for a few bucks more with RC i can get the complete kit plus the SYE and driveshaft and steering stabilizer

Iron Rock offroad... their critical long arm is one of the best ive ever seen. the flex is amazing!!! and their short arm kits are nice too, but i wouldnt go with short arms, save your money and get long arms. they ride better on and off the road.

Just to add to the RC X-flex arms, A lot of people have had problems with the joints but I have 10,000 miles and a bunch of offroading trips and mine are still fine. Researching too will tell you they can be replaced with currie stuff!

Oh and also I run the complete RC 4.5" lift setup, minus the rear leafs cause I run a bastard pack, with no problems at all. I have rode in other rides with more expensive lifts and definitely yes there is a difference but as far as budget lift goes it has worked well for me. With a name like Rough Country, do you expect it to be smooth?

Yeah I hear that. Im just looking for something complete. I definitely need rear leaf springs. Im not the richest guy out there but I don't wanna have it all torn apart. And realize somethings missing and not able to drive it. If I don't like the way it rides ill swap the shocks out later. Does ONE make shocks long enough for 4.5"?

If you go 4.5 it will leave you room to grow(tire size). The best lifts are the ones you build however.. Not everyone has the fab skills so go with a Rockkrawler or a Clayton kit and never look back!

Yeah I hear that. Im just looking for something complete. I definitely need rear leaf springs. Im not the richest guy out there but I don't wanna have it all torn apart. And realize somethings missing and not able to drive it. If I don't like the way it rides ill swap the shocks out later. Does ONE make shocks long enough for 4.5"?
Rough Country does! And lots others. I haven't researched who would have the best but I heard RC's are rough compared to others. I can attest to that!

damn smart phones and there auto correct. I know RC makes the shocks for a 4.5" i meant does Old man Emu make a shock for 4.5" of lift. iv been looking and i only see up to 3.5"?

damn smart phones and there auto correct. I know RC makes the shocks for a 4.5" i meant does Old man Emu make a shock for 4.5" of lift. iv been looking and i only see up to 3.5"?
checkout what RE uses for their 3.5" lift kits and go by those measurements, you can also go with a slightly larger shock (more droop) but you'll have to bumpstop it accordingly

I have a RC 4.5 and think its great and I personally love the ride. Don't do the AAL trust me. I went cheap and ended up getting full leafs anyway. And not to be a jerk but anyone complaining that's its to "stiff" ummmm yeah you just changed to off-road suspension. Its meant to be hit hard and take it. If you want smooth get Fab tech. It even says not for off-road. That's just IMHO.

My RC joints held up maybe 2000 miles if that, but they sent new ones for free...

If your gunna wheel crazy hard go clayton

I have the RC 4.5 lift with control arm drop brackets. Ride is better than the factory suspension in my opinion. Rough Country customer service is amazing.

Your not just paying for parts from DPG you are also paying for his knowledge and time that he takes to build your lift "custom" for what you want. Dirk is a really nice guy and spent at least 45 mins on the phone with me. Even though I didn't buy a lift from him when it comes time I will be ordering all my OME stuff from him.
**** BUILD YOUR OWN LIFT FROM THE COMPANIES YOU WANT****
--- Here is my list ---
OME Springs and Leafs : DPGoffroad
http://www.dpgoffroad.com
Long arm kit, Track Bar, Tie Rod from: Ironman4x4fab
http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/
Bilstein Shocks 5160 or 5165 : Seriousoffroadproducts
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=419_1326
Hack N Tap from: Ironrockoffroad
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com

If you go 4.5" get drop brackets and you'll have the ride and flex of long arms for less. It's possible to really get into the tuning and building of your rig and get more usable flex from long arms, but running short arms at 4.5" and long arms at 5.5", I could unseat the coil on either setup. I can unseat it farther on the long arms, but in either case it's unusable flex.

Back