• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering pump question

cardinal

NAXJA Forum User
in the process of setting up the hydro assist in my xj, my pump is a tc style with the attached resevoir. i broke the plastic nipple off the back of the resi, for the return. can i take the resevoir off this pump and add a larger remote res or do i need to source a pump set up for remote like a tj style?

Thanks in advance guys!

Reservoir from a 01 WJ with a 4.7 is about twice the size, and should fit, it mounted the same as the reservoir on my 01.

It has a second return port that needs to be capped though.

in the process of setting up the hydro assist in my xj, my pump is a tc style with the attached resevoir. i broke the plastic nipple off the back of the resi, for the return. can i take the resevoir off this pump and add a larger remote res or do i need to source a pump set up for remote like a tj style?

Thanks in advance guys!

Check around on the internet. Sometimes you can buy just the reservoir. Beware of using a remote reservoir. If you don't get it set up right, you will end up with a lot of pump whine due to sucking air and frothing the fluid.

I have a TJ pump that I ran for about a month that I would let go of for $50 shipped.

Check around on the internet. Sometimes you can buy just the reservoir. Beware of using a remote reservoir. If you don't get it set up right, you will end up with a lot of pump whine due to sucking air and frothing the fluid.

I have a TJ pump that I ran for about a month that I would let go of for $50 shipped.

I don't think a TJ pump will fit the old style XJ mounting system

I don't think a TJ pump will fit the old style XJ mounting system
Mine fit just fine. It looks like the same pump but with a hose fitting instead of a reservoir.

Get shorter bolts. I've interchanged the two styles of pumps, just need to use the correct bolts.

i already have a nice aluminum resi, just wasnt sure if i could pull off the the plastic resi and attach a line from the external, wasnt sure if there is a fitting there or not?

Reservoir from a 01 WJ with a 4.7 is about twice the size, and should fit, it mounted the same as the reservoir on my 01.

Pardon my interruption, but if I'm reading this right - you can swap out just the reservoir from the XJ style to the WJ style? Direct fit on 97? Sounds like a cheap easy way to run more fluid, stay cooler, etc.

I did the same thing on mine tonight. just got a plastic theaded/barbed fitting and epoxied it in. to get me through the weekend. works like a champ

got any pics man?

and ALWAYS cut the hose off the reservoir, never pull it off!!!!!

Back