• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM shock replacement - brand prefs?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Time to replace the shocks in the rig (again). I tried Monroe Sensatrac and thought they were garbage, so I won't buy them again.
Through work I can get KYB GR2, Excel-G, Gas-A-Just & Monomax.
I can also get Bilstein's B6 HD line.

Other brands are pretty well out. I can get those brands above at wholesale cost, all others at retail. So of those parts, which would you buy / have you run?
Right now, my complaint is that it wobbles. I don't want it to be too harsh, but I'd rather stiff than wobbly.

Try Rancho RS5000's. Decent long lasting shock for the price. They may be a bit stiff though.

Try Rancho RS5000's. Decent long lasting shock for the price. They may be a bit stiff though.

I really dislike my rachos, the stiff ride was fine with me. The problem for me is, they bottom out way to easy. I can bottom out going over speed bumps or other minor onroad obstacles that should never bottom out my XJ with a 2" lift.

Rancho are nasty. Too soft and they bottom out on the 4x4 trails, and too stiff on the pavement. Rough Country and Tuff Country should be avoided also.

Doetsch DT-3000 are reasonably priced and ride well on and off road. A

Love my Rancho 9000xl shocks. I can make them as stiff or as soft as I want. Rock Crawling and washboards I make them nice and soft to absorb and flex, for expeditions when the jeep is loaded in the back I can make them stiffer in the rear to carry the load better and then on the freeways I make them stiff all-around for better handling. Love them.

So, anyone use the KYB or Bilstein B6 shocks I was asking about? I can get them >50 a corner, is why I ask, and I'm damn sure not spending more than $200 on this beater if I don't have to.

I have the both the kyb gr2 on my 2000 and the gas adjust on the 97. I have bilstein on my 2001.

gr2 - super stiff - kidney shaker on rough highways
gas adjust - comp to bilstein oem
bilstein oem (yellow) - best of all worlds

I run Bilstein shocks on everything I own, with the exception of the '48 as it is a restoration.

IMO, the last thing you want is a stiff, harsh, ride. I use the 5100 series. You get what you pay for. Buy a cheap shock and that is what you get. Harsh and short lived...

KYBs on my 98 stocker with 173k and it is decent. No idea on there age I would say average to slightly stiff. Thats with street tires at 28 LBS. Empty 2 door. My old 93 my son drives the suspension is shot and its alot better than that is.
Ron

Bilstein 5150's on the XJ and KYB GR-2's on my Durango R/T. Bilsteins are better

I would go bilstein. I was going to until I got a good deal on ebay for my sensatrac's for the rear.

I had the RS5000's on my last '94. I also put the RS5000 SS on the front end. It was a semi-stiff ride, but I also had fire gear, radios, and some other emergency equipment in mine. They worked great on the trail, and when I sold the jeep they were still riding fine. I have the RS5000's on the wife's Traveler, and while its a whole lot heavier than the XJ, they are awesome on that truck as well. The RS's will give you about the ride you are looking for, at least from the experience I have had, and when I get around to replacing the shocks on this current '94, I too will go and get the RANCHO's again.

Jeff

I went with Bilsteins a few months ago and they are awesome. Really good value for the price, KYB is the only cheaper monotube I found, and Bilstein seemed to have better reviews.

Just to close it up for future searchers:

I finally replaced all 4 corners with Bilstein B6 / Yellows. They came with bushings, washers & top nuts. I had to supply 4 bolts. I used 10mm fine thread bolts, about 25mm long, & nylock nuts. 10mm is the largest bolt you can get through the Bilstein bar pin.
The shocks, as others have said, are of very high quality. Bar pins are drilled round, not slotted. Fitment is great. My drive home was orders of magnitude quieter, more comfortable & more stable.
Unless I find some compelling first hand evidence to change my mind, I will buy Bilsteins forever. Well worth the money. Wish I'd done it sooner.

Back