• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RED DRAGONS!

Gold Cobra

NAXJA Forum User
After searching for a few months for a 91 or 92, in about a 1000 mile radius I saw an 88 that I couldn't resist. Thanks to an app on my phone I'm able to quickly search multiple areas at the same time. I was doing this like 5 times a day to make sure I didn't miss out on anything. At about 5pm last Sunday I saw a real short ad for an 88 in Pe Ell Washington. I didn't want a renix because they're gay, but once I saw the picture I had to have it. Since I'd been checking several times a day the ad had only been up for a few minutes. I called right away, we agreed on a price of $1100 and he told me that it needed plug wires and had a dead battery. He didnt think it would make the 2 hour drive and that it should probably be towed, but it happens to have a tow-bar on it. I went up the next day with two buddies a battery and plug wires. We were also prepared to drag it home. We put in the wires and battery and got it running. I was feeling brave so I decided to drive it home. The brakes didn't really work and neither did the blinkers, but I made it home.

This is what I ended up with; an 88 Chief shortbox 4.0l ba-10 231 with a 30/35. It's identical to my last one. Body is pristine but the interior really needs to be cleaned. Interior is grey which is kind of a letdown since my last one had black. Mechanically it needs a major tuneup and a rear main seal.

36f451cb.jpg

96988b84.jpg

4aa3891b.jpg

3be34624.jpg

The build plan is to make this a really nice driver and work truck. Once I get this thing running like a champ, I'll focus on the interior, then later on I'll probably build axles for it give it a little lift and some 31s. Something similar to gojeep's XJ, a Jeep sleeper, super-stock or whatever you want to call it.

I'm pretty excited to be driving an MJ again. The name for the truck comes from the Jason Ellis show. My build is also posted on Comanche Club, they tend to have a more purist and restoration oriented take on things so I thought it would be interesting.

I think it needs a HO

The name for the truck comes from the Jason Ellis show.

I clicked on this thread specifically to see if that was what you were referencing. Nice find! Dude is it gay... if my MJ has a Renix? :conceited

Nice clean MJ! And I'll echo the sentiment about your death upon application of rattle-can. That would be tragic. :D

If you want to swap out the interior to black....... I just snagged all the plastics, door panels, arm rests and whatnot out of a parts rig. I don't have a seat, dash, rear carpet panel or center console but I have everything else. Probably kinda pricey to ship to ya, but lemme know if you're interested.

Last edited:
As far as swapping the interior to black, I don't think I am going to at this point. I think I can live with grey, but I appreciate the offer.

It was nice out today so I decided to wash it. I also removed the 80s era CB equipment and tow-bar.

3a9d5785.jpg

41dbcac8.jpg

Before:
d3b16745.jpg

After:
45b1227f.jpg

6307959e.jpg

Since I'm going to be doing some work on it, I made an attempt and degreaseing/cleaning the engine bay.

Before:
b29281d6.jpg

After:
655e1d8f.jpg

It's amazing what great shape the body and paint are in, I've never seen a Renix that didn't have a peeling clearcoat before. Anyway, now that it's all cleaned up I need to order some parts for it, tear into and get it driveable.

89eliminator said:
must be like deja-vu for you having a red Chief.

The color and trim package is the only reason I'm now stuck with this thing.

My old MJ in case you've never seen it:
DSC_6393.jpg

dellstopjeep came over last night and helped me rip out the front end. I decided to just take the whole front end out instead of working around it to do the rear main.

08d08acf.jpg

Every part in the front end looks like the factory installed part, and is very worn. Should I rebuild this disco housing and install a one piece shaft, or try and score a non-disco to rebuild?

dellstopjeep came over last night and helped me rip out the front end. I decided to just take the whole front end out instead of working around it to do the rear main.

08d08acf.jpg

Every part in the front end looks like the factory installed part, and is very worn. Should I rebuild this disco housing and install a one piece shaft, or try and score a non-disco to rebuild?

The guy I sold my old running gear has a non disco housing out of an 88..

New parts;

78e88a98.jpg

And new Brown Dog motor mounts that I won at NWFest, thank you Brown Dog.

0011b951.jpg

All my new parts are in. Thank you dellstopjeep and TORX for the help. Just need to bleed the brakes and then it'll be ready for the road.

Back