• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Master and Slave cylinder questions

90XJay

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Trying to collect some advice on my transmission swap. Jeep is a 90 renix auto atm. Tranny is an ax-15 out of a 96 (external slave). I have the 90 master cylinder and pedals. I was told to use the plastic end of the slave line and the metal end of the master side and use a compression fitting to join the 2 (since it isn't a high pressure line the fitting would be fine). However after looking at my new slave is there any reason why I can't just use a metal line the whole way? My only concern would be is there an issue of using metal line in the plastic threaded hole?

im actually in the middle of the same swap 89 4.0L/AW4/NP242 and going to 94+ AX15 with an np231, and my slave should be in tomorrow so im not 100% sure but i dont think there is a threaded hole i think the plastic line is molded to the plastic slave housing but im in the same situation i have a clutch master and line from an 88, what i was thinking of doing is just finding a 94 xj at the wrecker and grabbing that line because 84-94 used the same pedal setup[my pedals were grabbed from a 94] so i would assume that means the same clutch master and 94 was the first year of the external slave so that should provide the proper line, im doing a wrecker run on he weekend so if no one posts up by then ill post my findings

not sure how far along you are but if ya have any questions just ask ive got almost everything figured at this point just a matter spare time for bolting it all up

Well I ordered my slave from crown automotive and it didnt come with a line (maybe perfect for what i need). I'll take pictures when I can and will keep you posted if I get this done soon.

yea i just picked mine up and its the same as yours, i had seen some others in pics where the line was molded into the unit but im just going to look for a line from a 94XJ as like i said 84-94 use the same pedal and master setup and 94 was the first year of the external slave so it should work fine cause im not really that excited bout threading metal into plastic, id sooner go the route of a compression fitting. in the plastic line

Back