• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whistling noise...

MJ3000

NAXJA Forum User
Whenever my jeep is idling it makes a very loud whistling noise but as soon as I give it gas it goes away. Any ideas on what this could be?

It idles fine, just once it warms up a little bit it something starts to whistle. The breather line for my front diff fell off a while ago and I thought that was it. But I've since put it back on and it still whistles.

Dunno, maybe a leak around the IAC. The computer opens and closes that valve when the car is below a certain speed (30 mph, I think?), so it could be opening and the gasket whistling at idle.

Could also check the throttle body gasket while you're in there. They get brittle over time. This seems less likely since that should always be leaking, although it's possible.

Could also be a vacuum leak somewhere but you would probably notice that with rough idle and poor mileage. If you've had the problem for a long time, you don't notice.

Alternators will make a dull mid-range whistling sound but they don't come and go with idling.

Good luck

The intake/exhaust manifold gasket is leaking. The metal backing on the gasket acts like
a flute reed - and whistles.

With the engine idling (and whistling); use an eyedropper and place drops of water along
all along the edge of the gasket. The water will get sucked in and the whistle will stop
momentarily where it's leaking.

Once you confirm it, then you'll have to change the gasket.

Back