• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for some new shocks!

ruger81

NAXJA Forum User
Im in the market for some new shocks I wanted to get some opinion's im thinking bilsteins. Specificly 7100 resi's in frontthe not sure on the valving but it needs to be pretty good my wheel and tire weighs 115 #'s also im lookin for a great deal help me out. One more thing I need one thats 36in long if that helps
And for the rear 5165's with stiff valving 360/80 at least. Lookin for guys that wheel here in the nwc to help I mostly wheel in the snow and sand and do alot of camping and feuding on logging roads.

Last edited:
im running bilstein 5160/ 5165's with 255/70 valving. sounds like you run the same terrain i do, with a similar rig. main difference is mine is 3 linked in the rear.

your welcome to come take a ride to check them out.

FYI, the 7100 series has heims top and bottom as apposed to bushings. this might lend itself to a little more in cab vibrations. this is the main reason I didnt go with the 7100.

7100s can also be rebuilt pretty easily, as well as re-valved. my 5160s can also be re valved but Id have to send them in.

im running bilstein 5160's with 255/70 valving. sounds like you run the same terrain i do, with a similar rig. main difference is mine is 3 linked in the rear.

your welcome to come take a ride to check them out.

FYI, the 7100 series has heims top and bottom as apposed to bushings. this might lend itself to a little more in cab vibrations. this is the main reason I didnt go with the 7100.

7100s can also be rebuilt pretty easily, as well as re-valved. my 5160s can also be re valved but Id have to send them in.

Defenatly im really wanting to make the right decision this is the last thing im going to be doing to my xj... also how's the body roll. Do you run sway bars?

front sway bar, body roll really isnt an issue. when i built it i was pretty concerned that it would roll pretty bad from the rear.

im sitting about 8"" or so.

front sway bar, body roll really isnt an issue. when i built it i was pretty concerned that it would roll pretty bad from the rear.

im sitting about 8"" or so.

Im running around the same for lift.. I don't run sway bars at all. I really don't notice body roll could be me but it seems to drive awesome

I have 255/70 5150's and wish I would have gone with 360/80 7100 fronts and 255/70 7100 rears. For the price difference I wouldn't buy anything less then 7100's because 1 of my 5150's are leaking and I can't re-seal them.

FOX I got my fronts for free, but I like them so much I'm going to be getting rears next year. The dealer I bough mine from help me set up proper dampening rate for my Cherokee. I dont know what else to compare them to, so Bilstiens maybe just as good. I do like the fact that I can tear my shocks apart and rebuild them my self, you cant do that with Bilstiens. I am unsure of the price diffrent.

also remote reservoirs are usually more expensive, and not needed for the type of offroading most of us do. So if you can get non-resevoirs cheaper I would go that direction. :)

FOX I got my fronts for free, but I like them so much I'm going to be getting rears next year. The dealer I bough mine from help me set up proper dampening rate for my Cherokee. I dont know what else to compare them to, so Bilstiens maybe just as good. I do like the fact that I can tear my shocks apart and rebuild them my self, you cant do that with Bilstiens. I am unsure of the price diffrent.

So you got them for free or donated. I can get the 7100. For 175$

The guy I bought my Jeep gave me to them a year after I bought my Jeep from him.
Maybe he felt bad because the radiator died 2 weeks after I bought it?

They are not cheap but the rebuild kits are, and you can rebuild them in half an hour, Bilsteins need to be sent in for rebuilds. The rebuild kits are around 12.00 dollars, you would also need fluid unsure how much I paid for that. The also need to be pressurized, high pressure at that, but it can all be done local. The last time I checked the shocks were 155.00 or 165.00 for 11" shocks. Call Mark at Marks Sand Trans, he's in Forrest Grove, he is a good guy and can probably give you the best info and the best price.

Hope this helps. Hey are you going to make the hang over run?

They are not cheap but the rebuild kits are, and you can rebuild them in half an hour, Bilsteins need to be sent in for rebuilds. The rebuild kits are around 12.00 dollars, you would also need fluid unsure how much I paid for that. The also need to be pressurized, high pressure at that, but it can all be done local. The last time I checked the shocks were 155.00 or 165.00 for 11" shocks. Call Mark at Marks Sand Trans, he's in Forrest Grove, he is a good guy and can probably give you the best info and the best price.

Hope this helps. Hey are you going to make the hang over run?

That's for the fox shocks.. im running 16" travel fronts and 12 rears..
As far as the hang over run im thinking about going up camping in the woods new years eve with some friends. It will be good times!!

Yeah for the Fox, How do you have room to run 16" travel up front? Whats your lift size? Or do you have a hoop up front? Anyway I am unsure if the price would change for a longer shock and if so, unsure of how much. Have fun on new years and be safe.

I am running fox 2.0 shocks front and rear and love them, they are showing no signs of wearing out and I have not even valved them correctly yet. One cool thing about the fox shocks is you can order them with bushings instead of heims and you can also get them with a stud on top like factory so you don't have to mess with adapters which take up more of your shock up travel.

Another added bonus is they have a fox tail sticker on them so you know they ride good!

Also if you like going fast for any length of time the remote session shocks are nice, I know that my shocks with the remote resi's will get damn hot just at sand lake if I am going fast for a while. Sounds like your going to have Pretty big shocks which should help out with heat if you use them hard.

If you have questions about fox call marks sand Trans, mark is full of knowledge on these things.

That's for the fox shocks.. im running 16" travel fronts and 12 rears..
As far as the hang over run im thinking about going up camping in the woods new years eve with some friends. It will be good times!!

Not sure of your lift but I have about 5" and run 10" travel standard body shocks. I can just use all of the shock travel 5 up and down. Just not sure how your coming up with 16" of travel? Jeep speeders are limited to 10" I think and most all of them run 5.5 Deavers or 6" Skyjacker springs. There are some guys in that section that are getting 12" of travel with short body shocks

Also Bilsteins are Completely owner rebuildable.

You should have this moved to the jeep speed section. The guys in there are real cool and full of good info. I'm sure Fox shocks are good shocks but if you look in the go fast section most of them run Bilsteins. Don't know if fox offers the short body?

Dave

Not sure of your lift but I have about 5" and run 10" travel standard body shocks. I can just use all of the shock travel 5 up and down. Just not sure how your coming up with 16" of travel? Jeep speeders are limited to 10" I think and most all of them run 5.5 Deavers or 6" Skyjacker springs. There are some guys in that section that are getting 12" of travel with short body shocks

Also Bilsteins are Completely owner rebuildable also.

You should have this moved to the jeep speed section. The guys in there are real cool and full of good info. I'm sure Fox shocks are good shocks but if you look in the go fast section most of them run Bilsteins. Don't know if fox offers the short body?

Dave

Well I don't want to go fast.. the reason for resi's is my tires and wheels are heavy. I bought some pro comp nitrogen shocks this last summer I have maybe 1500mi on them and one is bad the other is weak.
With my new axle I relocated my shock mounts just sitting my static measurement is 26.5" .. my up travel is 5". So that's the reason for such long shocks. Its kinda hard to get a shock that will extend more than 36" and collapsed isn't more than 21"
for the record im right at 8" of lift

Back