• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smoothest Riding 3" to 4" lift for XJ? All imput welcome!

xsubarudude

NAXJA Forum User
Hi! I'm shopping for a 3 to 4" lift kit for my XJ.
I have a two inch block and spacer lift but the rear leafs have really lost their spring , in fact they have a "Inverted" arc now.
Im looking for a lift kit that has a good smooth ride.
Guess i should specify that im going from 31" tires to 32" tires
What's your take?

Last edited:
i had the 3" BDS kit and it was fine and I now have the 3.5" RE coils and full leaf packs and RE Monotube shocks and the ride is really good. A friend of mine in highschool had the rusty's 3" kit and it rode horrible it might as well have not had springs on it at all it was so stiff. Make sure you chose a good set of coils and go for full leaf packs and not just an add-a-leaf as they don't ride as good either. Also invest in a good set of shocks because they can make a world of a difference too even if you have good springs. Bilstein seems to be king but there are some other good brands out there to. Don't get the budget shocks from any manufacturer as they will not offer a very good ride no matter what brand it is. Thats my .02 cents.

i had the 3" BDS kit and it was fine and I now have the 3.5" RE coils and full leaf packs and RE Monotube shocks and the ride is really good. A friend of mine in highschool had the rusty's 3" kit and it rode horrible it might as well have not had springs on it at all it was so stiff. Make sure you chose a good set of coils and go for full leaf packs and not just an add-a-leaf as they don't ride as good either. Also invest in a good set of shocks because they can make a world of a difference too even if you have good springs. Bilstein seems to be king but there are some other good brands out there to. Don't get the budget shocks from any manufacturer as they will not offer a very good ride no matter what brand it is. Thats my .02 cents.
Thanks. thats what i figured about the "Add-a-leafs"

OME + shackle relocation + drop brackets if needed

X2 on the OME. I'm running their light duty 2" leafs with RC 2" shackle in the rear. ride is like a caddy. front i have RC 3" coils and 1 3/4" pucks w/stock control arms. angle isn't too bad on the control arms but those are getting swapped soon. i also have run of the mill hydro shocks from RC. I've heard nitro shocks ride a little rougher but i haven't done too much research into that. don't have the money to swap 'em anyway.

another thing to consider in ride quality is how much tire you plan to run compared to how much wheel.

OME V8 ZJ coils, OME leaves with extra leaf, and OME shocks= Caddy on 32's.

To the OP, I think I understand why you're an ex-subaru dude........mine is DRIVING ME NUTS!!!! :D

Last edited:
I agree with the OME crowd for a smooth riding XJ. I have the 3 1/2" OME hybrid system from DPG. OME is certainly not the cheapest out there. It's the only one I have experience installing and living with. Very smooth.

OME V8 ZJ coils, OME leaves with extra leaf, and OME shocks= Caddy on 32's.

To the OP, I think I understand why you're an ex-subaru dude........mine is DRIVING ME NUTS!!!! :D

Yep this was my subaru,, "Das PoopinWagon" the obvious upgrade was to a Jeep.
Lifted-subaru.jpg

I really appreciate everyones input!:thumbup: I think OME is the way to go! When i am able to get them i'll log the install here at NAXJA, Thanks!.

I have the ome 934 and the ome leafs with the overload and 2 extra leafs. I have cheap kyb monomax shocks and it rides worse than a mid 90's f150. No caddy ride here but I think a good set of shocks and if I lift it a little more in the front some drop brackets would help. I had to use 2 extra leafs in the back to get it to sit even or a little higher in the back. I do a lot of hauling stuff/pulling a trailer. When it is loaded with a couple hundred pounds or pulling a trailer with at least 150 lbs tongue weight it rides great. I am at roughly 4" rear lift and 3" front unloaded. I had to drop the 242 t-case a half inch to keep the yoke from binding and no vibes yet. I am disappointed in the ome coils, I dont think they will last as there are fewer coils of thinner diameter wire than the stock zj ones which will cause them to sag faster if they ever get worked a bunch.

I have the ome 934 and the ome leafs with the overload and 2 extra leafs. I have cheap kyb monomax shocks and it rides worse than a mid 90's f150. No caddy ride here but I think a good set of shocks and if I lift it a little more in the front some drop brackets would help. I had to use 2 extra leafs in the back to get it to sit even or a little higher in the back. I do a lot of hauling stuff/pulling a trailer. When it is loaded with a couple hundred pounds or pulling a trailer with at least 150 lbs tongue weight it rides great. I am at roughly 4" rear lift and 3" front unloaded. I had to drop the 242 t-case a half inch to keep the yoke from binding and no vibes yet. I am disappointed in the ome coils, I dont think they will last as there are fewer coils of thinner diameter wire than the stock zj ones which will cause them to sag faster if they ever get worked a bunch.
Thanks for that insight. I think my stock front coils and spacer setup is working fine. I lowered the Tcase 1" and adjusted the angles and alignment so there is no vibes coming from the drivetrain. My issue is with the current rear stock springs and 2" blocks.

i installed my OME hybrid 3.5" kit last month and it rides great! got it from dirk at DPG as well.

regarding the shocks, i went with the OME sport nitro shocks, they work great so far, they ride smooth on road and react very well..i notice it most when hitting rough construction patches on the pavment, goes from nice smooth ride to firm and stable in a instant, i have used fox, bilstein, koni, KYB yadda yadda yadda in all different types of situations on different vehicles, for the jeep, the OME nitros do a fantastic job

Back