• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater died conveniently at the beginning of winter /facepalm

oldcancer

NAXJA Forum User
i drive a 1994 xj 4.0L with the windows rolled down so my front windshield doesn't ice over while i'm doing 80km/h down an icy freeway

i'll state now that i have searched in hopes of finding a writeup that would help me diagnose the issue, but all i found so far is that replacing the blower motor is a task and a half....

so what i'd like to find out is, how exactly would i go about testing the resistor pack to determine whether or not i half to rip half of my xj apart in order to change the blower motor?

also, would the heater controls being stuck on high be something i should worry about when it comes to the longevity of the replacement blower motor? (just so i know whether or not to put a priority on getting a new heater control panel as well)

If the only fan speed you have is high, you probably need a new blower motor resistor.

To diagnose, inspect the the dash switch, all the wires, and resistor for signs of overheating or damage. Sniff each for a burnt smell. Test the wires for continuity. Apply 12 volts directly to the fan motor electrical connector.

well i know what the problem is on the heater control panel, it's stuck in high because the fan speed knob broke off in the high position, there is a burning coolant kind of smell on some settings, which is likely just a small leak in the heater core, and i probably need a new blower motor regardless as it was intermittently making that squawking like a rooster that just got kicked in the balls kind of noise, anyways, you wouldn't happen to know where the resistor is would you?

Back