• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 into 2

DCB

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what it would take to my my 4 wheel XJ into a 2 wheel drive. I almost never go off road but I like the XJ.
Taking the extra weight and such will help all around performance.

Thanks!

Peace

Sell it and buy a 2wd. There are many Jeepers out there that would appreciate the 4wd and many out there with 2wd that dream of 4wd (my cousin being one of them). It would take a new front beam 2wd axle, new 2wd transmission, removal of all the 4wd linkages. Basically way more work than it is worth to go backwards.

You're strange strange individual. I can honestly say I've never seen anyone want to convert to two wheel drive.

You have to find a 2wd cherokee first. You need the transmission and the front beam.

Remove your transmission, transfer case, drive shaft and front axle.

Replace with 2wd components?

What year is your XJ? I might be interested in your transmission.

I would leave the transfer case and transmission alone since eliminating the transfer case isn't going to save much weight and is a lot of work.
Just remove the front drive shaft and replace the D30 with a 2WD beam. This could be an afternoon's job.

This would make it easy to convert it back to 4X4... in case you come back to your senses.:wave:

remove the shift lever and take the 4x4 badges/ stickers off it. bam. you will think its a 2wd and save yourself the time and effort of converting it.

I would look into finding someone in your are with the opposite problem.
Might even be able to get cash out of the deal

Ok... I thought it might take some work to take everything out.

Does it hurt anything to run it in 4 HI all the time?
I seem to be getting some binding when I do it.

Peace

128660498159844805.jpg

if he be trollin, this guys the best troll to ever hit the site, hes been a member since 2005! sleeper troll cell!

BACK ON TOPIC... dropping the front driveshaft and installing a 2wd beam does nothing for the added weight, and drivetrain drag, so really wouldnt get enough to make it worth the effort... There is some discussion to be had on front beam style... theres a unit bearing/dummy shaft type, and one that actually has serviceable bearings. My guess would be the serviceable type would get better mpg due to less drag.

I'm with you Nick, I'm so damn confused:confused1

Do not run 4hi on pavement:nono:

If you want to make your 4wd into a 2wd you can accomplish this two different ways;

1) pull your front drive shaft, remove the front live axle and install a 2wd axle beam

2) or pull your front shaft, pull both axle shafts, install stubbies on your unit bearings, plug the axle tubes

Or you could just sell it or trade it for a 2wd XJ.

Just run it in 4lo on the highway if 4hi is binding.

Back