• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

misfire after tuneup

Chads97

NAXJA Forum User
Need some help here. I recently bought a 97 sport with auto transmission and 120k miles. The jeep didn't have any service records with it so last night I decided that I was gonna replace the rotor, cap, wires and plugs. It was running pretty good before that but now I am getting misfires while driving. It idles fine but once I start driving I get misfires.

I have double checked to make sure I have the wires correct and I rechecked that I had the plugs gapped correctly at .035. I used champion coppers for the plugs and the rotor, cap and wires were all purchased from napa.

What should my next step be? Any help would be appreciated.

Chad

Test the spark plug wires. Pull one plug wire at a time and try to isolate the cylinder with the miss. It would be very rare, but possible to have a faulty spark plug or plug wire. Recheck your work, make sure everything is installed correctly and that the wires are fully plugged in at both ends.

I think I may have figured it out. As I was looking over all of the connections for the wires I noticed that the cap was not on tight. When I pushed down on it, it would move up and down. Could that have been the problem? Hopefully.

By finding that problem though, I created another. I went to tighten the screws on the cap and over tightened one of them and snapped the screw off. For the life of me, I can not get the broken screw out. Looks like when I screwed it in the first time it didn't go in straight and I cross threaded it. I am going to try a little longer to get the broken piece out but if I can't I guess I will pull the distributor out and replace it with a new one.

This is the first vehicle that I am attempting to do all the maintenance myself and I am learning as I go. I have the Haynes manual and luckily the forums to help me out. It looks like I will be learning a lot faster than I initially thought I would.:laugh3:

Chad

Sorry the bolt broke off but that is the way you learn. Put a drop of antisieze on the dist cap screws to make them come out easier next time. They have a way of getting stuck here in the rust belt.
Ron
On my old YJ I used a small C clamp for about 10 years where one of the screws had broken off.

Just a quick update for the thread. I couldn't get the broken screw out of the distributor so I put in a new one. Got everything back together and the jeep runs great now.
Just a minor question now. I would like to put a new bolt in that holds down the distributor but I can't find a direct replacement. I stopped at a local dealership but they couldn't find one in their computer. Should my new distributor have come with one? It has kind of a tapered end on it and I can't find one like it at the hardware store either. Anyone know a part number or a place to find one online?
thanks again for the help, Chad

Back