• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 sport 4.0 won't start

ScottW

NAXJA Forum User
The other day I was driving and my jeeps rpms dropped to about to 200 and no throttle response. Then the rpms jumped back up and it drove fine then a few minutes later it completely died. It cranks and gives a sputter or two but will not start. A while ago it did run for about 20 seconds. I have good spark, and proper fuel pressure. And the timing does seem to be correct, also the timing chain is intact.

It has a fairly new distributor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, coil and injectors, as well as a good cps and distributor pick up.

Only 182,000 miles, any ideas on why she won't start?

Check for spark first.
If spark is strong a shot of starting fluid . If it starts and dies its a fuel problem,maybe pump. Sounds like a fuel problem. You will need a pressure gauge to test it. Should be around 29 LBS.
Ron

Try starting it on starter fluid.

Could be a crank position sensor issue, or maybe a clogged cat. If it has good spark and does not start on starting fluid, then the exhaust could be choked up with a failed cat.

If it seams to run ok when it is running and does run on starting fluid, or brake/carb cleaner (flammable kind), then probably crank sensor.

You can also do the key on-Off, on-off,on-off, then on, and the engine light will flash you a code. two digits. 1 blink for 1, 2 blink for 2. So code 21 is flash, flash, slight pause, then flash.

Hit it with your purse! :D

In all seriousness. Ive had the problem a few times. Once it was the fuel pump. But the pump showed no signs of being bad, other then very little to no pressure. There is a chance that with this past snow storm the CPS could have got a little wet.

Also have you tried starting at WOT? I had the problem in my old 96 when the battery cables were corroded enough that it wasnt getting enough voltage to the alt to get it to start.

Tried starter fluid didn't really do anything. Battery is low and crankin it too slow so I tried hooking a charged battery (although said battery is older than dirt so I don't know if its actually holding a charg to well) to it with jumper cables and then crankin it. still slow. Then took the current battery out of the equation, and it cranked a little faster gave a sputter and that battery died.
So what I'm wondering would something messed up inside the battery (optima yellow) perhaps causing low voltage, not let her run?

Back