• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another heater problem

ruger81

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, my 92 xj used to have awesome heat. Almost melt the wipers to the window.. anyways I replaced the thermostat flushed the heater core got some improvement.. but there is this vacum slash whistle noise coming from the passenger side dash.. all positions work just warm heat... when I check the temp of the inlet and return hoses on the heater core they are within 20deg crime eachother.. help please.

O and it has ac

i checked that. the noise that i hear is kinda like hearing water in a pipe in the wall in ur house.. no coolant smell or leaks just no heat.. i think maybe its a vacume blend door or somethimg just not sure everything seems to work exept for heat

check the valve operation between hot and cold settings

I'm fixating on this because (1) you were monkeying around in that area when flushed the core but you've not said anywhere else, (2) heater control valve is default cold so lack of heat is a clue, and (3) whistling suggest vacuum leak

I'm pretty sure the recirculate flap is only used on MAX A/C settings so that should not be a problem (could be wrong). You could eyeball the blend door cable while moving the slider around and see if that's the problem. Did you monkey with any of this stuff?

Only other real probability is that there is air trapped in the heater core. It causes gurgling noises but I can't think of why it would make whistling

Last edited:
check the valve operation between hot and cold settings

I'm fixating on this because (1) you were monkeying around in that area when flushed the core but you've not said anywhere else, (2) heater control valve is default cold so lack of heat is a clue, and (3) whistling suggest vacuum leak

I'm pretty sure the recirculate flap is only used on MAX A/C settings so that should not be a problem (could be wrong). You could eyeball the blend door cable while moving the slider around and see if that's the problem. Did you monkey with any of this stuff?

Only other real probability is that there is air trapped in the heater core. It causes gurgling noises but I can't think of why it would make whistling

I will go check these areas again.. where is the blend door?

Back