• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Gear Box "Block"?

Alaskan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Greets: How important is the metal 'block'; p/n: 5200 0881? It is located on, and screwed into front frame rail, i.e., mounted between inner wall of frame rail, and steering gear box.

Is this a 'fail-safe' item? Under what circumstances would such a part deletion create a problem.

I took mine out after installing a lateral steering gear box brace, and the 'block' would no longer interface afterwards, unless I modify the 'block' by sawing out a chunk of the 'block' for fittment. Instead, I tossed it into 'a-do-it-later-box'.

Thanks

Ya, it sounds like the spacer, and yes it is an important part that needs to come out of the "do-it-later-box" and into the "need to put on right now" box. It is not a fail-safe item, it is a necessary item, more so than the lateral brace.

Do yourself a favor though, get an upgraded spacer, from C-rok, JCR, etc, that dsitribute the load of the box on the frame over a greater area.

Its bolted to the front crossmember, and the gearbox rests against it.
Maybe it keeps some of the load off the steering gear bolts
Maybe its for front impact

Couldn't say really...

IIRC this support was included in the tow hook kit which I purchased from the dealer many years ago. I believe it is installed on XJs with the up-country package or with the tow hook option.
The steering gearbox has to be removed in order to install/bolt this part on the front crossmember. It acts as a support for the front of the gearbox.

Well, I did not have to do anything other than unscrew 'block' from front rail in order to remove it from the face of the steering gear box--from a basic XJ, i.e., non-anything, i.e., absolutely a stock version. I DID NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE STEERING GEAR BOX. So, it's existence has nothing apparently to do with the front tow hook option, unless it was put there on the factory floor anticipating the possibility that orders would come in in order to upgrade this particular VIN. Rather doubt that they would make such a provision of wasting some dollars..., lol, but what do I know!?! I purchased an after-market tow hook set specifically for the XJ, and it was not included in the kit. I have since removed the hooks, for a winch/bumper.

Correct Original_MudButt: as per your link provided, it is parts pictured as; 42--'block', and 43--'bolt'. However, my XJ is Alaskan dealership sold, and is American, and I am a VET, named Mike.

I WENT TO THE NAXJA AREA WHERE TO UPLOAD/DOWNLOAD PICS IN AN ALBUM IN ORDER TO PLACE a picture of the 'block' INTO THIS REPLY, BUT CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO TRANSFER IT FROM THE ALBUM TO HERE! ?Help?

souske: If it was for frontal collision, (front impact).., I'd expect a crumple zone to be superior, not metal on metal such as this 'block' is positioned, i.e., a rock between two hard places.

begster: I grok your insistance to replace it.., but I do not see the physical science in your excitements, i.e., as a "necessary item"--WHY? The steering box is bolted down for WWIII, the way I look at it... The only reason I see for the lateral steering box brace is because the XJ flexes, or twists and somehow the brace minimizes that.., lol, but I am not so sure about it. Installed it anyway, but in order to do so, that little 'block' prevented installation until removed. I say to myself: '...go figure'. Is there an internal weakness to some spring clip, c-clip, washer, nut, whatever inside steering box that under extreme stress/shock could have a shifting of components inside of box, i.e., force their way out of box? Therefore the 'block' would prevent that? Hmmm...

Thanks people for the quick responses.

Begster was refering the spacer that goes between the frame and the steering box.

The steering box brace is there to help prevent cracks in your unibody behind the steering box.

Lowrange2; Right; begster was referring to something else, which is fine, and clarification was submitted by Original_MudButt, specifically with the link provided. Thanks for reminding us about the potential 'cracks' that can be pre-empted from the use of a lateral brace. But what in the world does the 'block' do?

LOL: Anyone can describe in 25 words, or less on how to transfer a picuture from this site's album page to such a post as this?

Really? I cannot upload to NAXJA, and then to a post I participate in; here at NAXJA?

My experience with this support was very different. I was not able to install it on two of my XJs without unbolting the gearbox. It may be related to different years?
None of the 4 XJs which I have owned came with this support from the factory and they did not have tow hooks either.
Over the years, I found two XJs in the junkyard with the tow hook option and removed this block along with all the brackets and related components. This and my dealer kit let me to believe this support was used only with the up-country/tow hook option.
As I mentioned, it may be related to different years or as suggested, it was installed “just in case” on some models. Just sharing my info.

Yes Mar: We all have different experiences, LOL. Just what years are you referencing, i.e., may be helpful for others in this thread to know. Seems Jeeps have always gotten parts from left over bins from different sources, and their engineers spend all their time trying to figure out how they can intergrate them into the next model, or half year model. It also appears that they could care less if they are good workable parts. On my old 1979 Cherokee, wide wheel model number 17, THEY used a 1957 trunion from Chyrsler instead of a front u-joint/yoke connection off of the transfer case to the propeller shaft, with a normal u-joint/yoke connection to the rear differential. So, here we are with boxes on wheels with all kinds of parts from just about anywhere. Why in the hell did they put in a stupid Euro transmission into my XJ? Not only disgraceful, but a major hassle to deal with on the end useage, i.e., Me, and others. I would like to dream I am in an alternate universe where XJ's are improved from year to year, rather than playing "mother may I" in this one... The best thing about the sharing on this site, and others, is the learning about how, and where we can improve our XJ's in this; the aftermarket world. The early XJ axles are crap. The wiring is crap. The bearings are crap. The coolent system is crap. The brake system is crap. The manual transmission is crap. The tie rod is crap. The computer is crap. If I spend 15 thousand dollars of parts to replace the crap, the resell I'd get is crap. Now; I don't love crap, nor like crap, but I am certainly stuck with crap, lol, and this little piece of crap--the 'block'.

The ideal XJ encompasses parts from various years/makes/models
1987 2dr
With 96 drivetrain + wiring
ZJ seats
WJ brakes
Explorer 8.8
Early XJ underhood light

And so on...

I am pretty sure it has to do with crash worthyness. I think it helps protect a impact with something like a pole that would drive the whole steering column through your face.

old_man: I respect your many posts of knowlege, but really? How in the world would a rock between two hard places stop the whole steering business into one's face. The physics is beyond me if'in that's what that little piece of metal prevents. How in the world could that be? Below I will 'stick figure' a side view of the parts in question.

Cross Frame = [
Steering box = \
the 'block'= @

[@\ versus [ \

Note that above illustrations depicts the left of versus with block, i.e., on impact there is just one long complete connection between the frame, steering box, and one's face, whereas in the second, or right of versus without block, i.e., on impact there is a missing area between the frame, steering box, and one's face. The physical aspect of the above, minus the 'block' illustrates an empty crumple zone which would go a long way, i.e., LOL, a couple of inches more damage before contact between the frame and the steering gear box, and consequence of impaling one's face with the steering shaft rod. Hmmm.

Souske: Why a 2-door? They are not as strong of a body as a 4-door, especially if you roll, and end up upside down, or go end over end.., lol, and why '87.., is that the one you are stuck with? That aside, I think I envy your braking system. You have rear discs? Why aren't you a paying member of NAXJA.., put all your cash into your '87? Can I have your seats? I can arrange to have you ship 'em via a barge to Alaska for your cost of only .33 cents a pound

Souske: Why a 2-door? They are not as strong of a body as a 4-door, especially if you roll, and end up upside down, or go end over end.., lol, and why '87.., is that the one you are stuck with? That aside, I think I envy your braking system. You have rear discs? Why aren't you a paying member of NAXJA.., put all your cash into your '87? Can I have your seats? I can arrange to have you ship 'em via a barge to Alaska for your cost of only .33 cents a pound

Couple things. Please don't take this the wrong way. There may be no way you can take it in any other way than the wrong way but please try. Not meaning to be an ass here.

First, are you aware of how to use the multi-quote button? It's actually pretty nice.

Second, Souske is a paying member. What makes you think he's not.

Third, why do you use "I.E.," at the end of most of your sentences?

Fourth, it's easiest to start a photobucket account. Upload the picture that you want to post to that account. Copy the 'img' link that will appear under the picture on that site and paste it here. Viola! Pictures.

Fifth, is the block in anyway shaped like a wedge? I could see how it could possibly deflect some energy to ones face if it were.

Ok, five things.

First, are you aware of how to use the multi-quote button? It's actually pretty nice.

I often would like to do that but cannot figure how to do it if my life depends on it.

Could you enlighten a :dunce: a$$?

Now back to the original discussion.

Back