• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stupid vacuum problems,

rinovirus

NAXJA Forum User
been trying to figure out these vac problems on my 94 xj, first off i had blow by, so i cleaned the valve cover, fixed some lines, got some gunk outta places, so now it has stopped blowing oil into my air filter

but its still getting terrible mpg, like 15 hwy

and its loudly sucking from the rear ccv, weirdest thing ever, why is it doing that?

also now i have oil leaking out of my oil pan gasket, is pressure building in the bottom of my engine? i just changed the oil a few weeks ago and wasnt leaking any oil, but after fixing these little things, now it is

thanks in advance!

I am no expert, (since I cannot remember what happened last week, lol), but please share more precise details, i.e., where is the oil leaking from the oil pan gasket? How clean is the lower engine block all the way around engine, both above gasket, and below gasket above oil pan areas? I never had any oil leaks until we ran out of dinosaur oil in my area, and I was forced to switch to syn. oil.., and then both the front, and rear main crankshaft oil seals began to show their ages to the more slippery stuff being forced through by pressure.

It has been mentioned many times that an improperly gasketed valve cover sealing will allow oil to slide down the back of the engine, over the bell housing, and onto the ground/floor/road, etc. Almost the same thing as per a badly 'set' oil filter torque, or faulty 'O'-ring therein.

I have no ideas about your rear ccv other than it must be clean to do it's minimal work, i.e., from my searches does not seem to affect too much in the wide-wide world of calibrations, etc., but it does, it seems, by your 'sucking' description, to give a clue. I defer to the experts at this point. Good Luck. BTW: 15mpg is just wrong!

hey thanks for the reply! i have 180k on her and runs like a champ , engine blocks pretty clean other then some oil goo coming from the oil cap, the bottom half is another story, pretty oily from oil coming through way up from the rear main seal it looks like and dripping down the back, not leaking out of the valve cover anymore since i cleaned out the ccv and some vac lines, but it was coming out pretty good. yea my ccv is doing some kind of work, it sounds like a air compressor shooting air out actually, thats how loud the thing is, not sure if i have a blockage or cleaned it TOO good! :) maybe ill try and post a video today so everyone can look at it, trust me ive searched and searched and i cant find ANYTHING on the internet....

I've seen your condition described here on NAXJA, but I am at a loss as to where to find it. The search box is mediocre, i.e., I am searching to comprehend on how to transfer a simple upload picture from my computer to NAXJA, and then from my album in NAXJA, to a post here on NAXJA, but can't figure out how to get it from here to another place here. When I search here at NAXJA, as described, i.e., on how to post a picture, I get stuff like craigslist, and other completely obsure hits. In your case it's probably better to google with some different search terms, and see if your newer search terms will lead you back to NAXJA, or another site.., unless of course someone, an expert hopefully, will chime in.

You say it runs like a champ.., ok.., but is it possible that you have some gaseous pressures passing through the rings? What are your compression readings, within limits? Do you happen to have some vacuum tubes mis-connected? My old FSM for a '79 Cherokee had good easy to understand vacuum schematics, but my new '89 FSM sucks for said.

Oil goo is moisture mixed in with oil, but you've got that cleared up I'd bet.

IF you can get your oil pan off fairly easily, it's not too difficult to change out your rms. I did my '79 at work, during my lunch period, on my back. However, the guy before me glued the '89 down so well that I must do it on a lift, as it's so badly stuck on the engine that I need better standing purchase in order to gain separation. Hope you the best.

Here 'ya go: I used a search term: causes of blowby+naxja and got a lot of good poi. Like worn rings, and worn valve stem seals as the culprit.

However you might first take off the two hoses from the valve cover and physically blow through them to ensure that they are clear of gunk. Me, I'd do that to all of my vacuum hoses/pipes in that circuit. With all hoses/pipes clear.., I'd suspect mechanical damage, hence the need to do a compression check with a gauge with threads on it's hose which goes into the spark plug hole, not a rubber nipple. Bump the engine over 4,5,6 turns, walk around and record the pressure result, write it down, and so on. If your pressures across the board are good, then it's narrowing down to bad valve stem seals, and perhaps the valve guides themselves, even perhaps intake valves. I think the best method to really hunt down the problem area is to do a "leak down test". Here is a simple description from the link: "If you can hear a hissing sound coming from the valve cover breather hole or from the dipstick tube, then the air is escaping past the rings"-->http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0406_cylinder_leakdown_tester/viewall.html IF that is too much of an ordeal to gain the compressor, gauges, etc., (time, expense, trouble), then have a shop do it for you.., should'nt cost more than a couple of hour's worth of work since they have all the equipment available. Some shops take breaks, chat a lot, take longer than the time the proceedure actually takes, and will attempt to screw you out of your money. After all you are just a walking wallet to some of these characters forced to gouge you in the economically depressed obamasama land. Oh, in order to rid the subscription advertisement, you will get on the link above, just click on it.., it will go away to another tab, and then you will be able to read the article.

Back