• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

powertrax no-slip install?

obaa-xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the midst of installing a powertrax no-slip into the 8.25 I recently picked up. I read the old threads about it before I even bought the no-slip, so I was pretty aware of the issues people had with installing them. I, of course, ran into some new ones... :)
Everything actually went together smoothly, but their go/no-go check pin tells me that I'm right on the end of too much clearance; a hair more and the pin would go in.
I pulled out the side gear thrust washers per the instructions; I did not replace them, because the instructions did not say to do so. An old thread I found even said not to use them:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1061108&highlight=no-slip+side+washer&page=3
However, it looks like adding one will snug up the clearance into the center of the range. So putting one in would be a good idea, eh?

I tried called Richmond Gear to ask. Their tech said the instructions were wrong, and that the thrust washers should be re-installed. Then he let on that they were bought out TODAY by Motive Gear, and that he was the new guy in Chicago (so he may not be too familar with it). What are the chances of my timing?

The other question I had, which may be generic to lunchbox lockers: How the *(&@# do you pull out the small inner spring which separates the coupler halves without buggering it? I could not get them out without bending the coils, which of course ruined them. They are only available as a set, for $20! I'm sure I'll bugger up more, so if there's a trick to doing this right, I'd love to find out.

Thanks!

I had one of these in my 93 with a 8.25 in August and had nothing but problems with it. Richmond gear was not help. They also admited that their install instuctions were incorrect but would not commit to revising them. Had the same problem as you did. You need a dental pick to snake the springs out. But be careful these things can shoot out of the center carrier and propell themselves a good distance away from your rig. So did it slowly and take your time. Ultimately you will wind up changing your Powertrax out to a more reliable locker as I and everyone else has who has ever bought one of these. Good luck.

Ugh; I bought this because Spartan is OOS until who knows when, and no one seemed to badmouth the no-slip when I was snooping around (other than install instructions)...
Thanks for the tip on the dental pick; looks like I need to go buy one. So you needed to put the thrust washers in as well? What issues did you run across with it, and what did you ultimately end up going with?

I bought a used No-slip for my 29spl 8.25 years ago. It came without any instructions but NAXJA helped to inform me that the install did not use the old thrust washers. So I put it together without them, I never checked the clearances because well I didnt know to or how to. After a couple tries getting everything properly aligned, the crosspin and springs all slipped together without too much hassle. Never heard a noise from the locker in the ~3yrs I had it and it never let me down.

I got mine used and in an axle with gears. Its been years and well over 50k miles that I have put on it and never had a problem.

Back