• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cut mod for sye

FireghostXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen two different threads where they have cut the stock yolk from the TC instead of tearing it apart and re-installing the gear shaft.
Does anyone know of a write up on this?

Doing the full SYE (as opposed to the hack and tap) will take the same amount of time and cost nearly the same amount of money.

and if you have a 242 transfer case what do you suggest doing?

H&T yourself or check out Tom Woods site for a couple of other options.

I don't want to turn this into a defense of the "hack n tap" and hijack the thread but... I've had my R.E. H&T on for over ten years and have put countless number of trips over the Con, Fordyce, Dusy, et al and around 120K street miles.

Since I live local to R.E. I was able to purchase one of the first kits they put out, literally! I have to tell you, I've installed a total of 4 H&T's in various Jeeps and everyone of those guys love it too. You cut slow with a angle grinder or a circ saw with an abrasive cut off disc and follow that up with making it flat with a flap disc. Then drill and tap, done. Just go slow and don't force that tap, take small bites and back it out a lot.

Find a 231 :D

technically my question was sarcastic... and the 242 is WAY better than the 231 IMO
i worked for the forst service for 4 years and running my jeep on service roads at 45 MPH in part time to forest fires was nice

i have a H&T driveshaft and yoke sitting in my shed im just too loazy to do the install at the moment.. when i go up another 2 inches ill probably have to but i dont have driveline vibes at the moment so i guess ill let it go.

right now im running a 31 inch DS that was literally laying at the entrance to the pick and pull.. i picked it up for free and it had 1310 U joints, no clue what its out of.. but i'd guess a zj or pathfnder

the only thing tom woods has over a h&t is the fact that he machines the shaft but it cost $$$, H&T done correctly is perfectly fine!

This debate always comes up when TW's 242 kits are mentioned. True for the early models, but not so for the late models...

technically my question was sarcastic... and the 242 is WAY better than the 231 IMO
i worked for the forst service for 4 years and running my jeep on service roads at 45 MPH in part time to forest fires was nice

Think maybe you meant Full Time? Part Time (High & Low) is the only mode on a 231 case. The 242 adds the Full Time option.

Back