• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 or 4.10 gears for 31" and dual purpose XJ?

imm/ou812

NAXJA Forum User
Going to lift my 2000 XJ with a DPG OME kit and use 31" Duratrac's. I have Aussie lockers front and rear. Just not sure what to do about gears.
I'm thinking 4.10's because I plan on driving it anywhere and everywhere and with 3.55's now and a 235/75 tire it hauls the mail pretty good.
I searched gears and brands on here and I'm looking at reider racing and randy's R&P...
Does anyone have any other suggestions on brands, places to buy and opinions on my gear choice????
I like to drive 70mph on the freeway and not tach over 3000rpm so the 4.10 should be perfect.
Thanks!!
Brian

Does anyone have any other suggestions on brands, places to buy and opinions on my gear choice????
Superior or Yukon, But I prefer Superior
I like to drive 70mph on the freeway and not tach over 3000rpm so the 4.10 should be perfect.
Thanks!!
Brian
You answered your own question!
But remember Bigger tires go with lifted XJs like white on Rice!
You will want to go bigger sooner or later!

Secretly I really want 4.56 gears....LOL! JIC I want to go 33's but then my D30 might not be up to it.
I've been told that the D30 with aftermarket axles will live as good as a OEM D44...any truth to that?

With 4.56 gears at 70 mph it should only be 2400rpm so that's still not that bad...see where I'm going with this!

Secretly I really want 4.56 gears....LOL! JIC I want to go 33's but then my D30 might not be up to it.
I've been told that the D30 with aftermarket axles will live as good as a OEM D44...any truth to that?

With 4.56 gears at 70 mph it should only be 2400rpm so that's still not that bad...see where I'm going with this!

2400 rpm? Not likely.
I am on 32s (4.56 ratio gears) & at 70 I am about 3K RPMs.

PS: The 4.0 is much quieter & smoother at3K RPMs than it is @ 2K RPMs

I have 31's with 4.10s/AW4 70ish is about 2500RPM with TCC lockup. I actually gained back a lil mileage from running 31's with 3.55s

I had a friend running 31s and 4.56s. Had lots of pep, but he also never went above 55mph. Not because of the gears, he just doesn't go above 55...

My 33s and 4.88s spin about 2700 rpms on the highway at 70. I have 0 complaints about that setup.

With 31's and 4.56 gears my motor spun around 2850RPM at 70MPH with the AW4 auto tranny. Now with 33's I'm around 2500RPM. I loved 31's with 4.56 gears.

just got my new rear end on at 4.56 on 31" bfg all terrains on my dd and I love it..

I did 4.56 because I am planning on 33" and actually after my research was going to buy 4.88's for the 33" but got a good deal on already bbuilt axles with 4.56..

I like it so much I already know that at 33" I'm gonna kinda wish I wouldve done 4.88's

as far as the d30.. The guy I bought my axles from said they ran 35" tires no problem with the hp30 I bought (i won't push it past 33")

but it's got alloys w 760x ujoints w full circle clips.
a riddler diff cover. and 30 spline Arb and lca skids and upper lca boxed in to stiffen it up..

from what I read swapping in a d44 should be cheaper and smarter than dumping that much into a d30 but I got a good deal on it and don't want tires past 33" ....

from what I read swapping in a d44 should be cheaper and smarter than dumping that much into a d30 but I got a good deal on it and don't want tires past 33" ....
Smarter? Debatable...maybe if you do all the work yourself.

Cheaper? No...not even if you do all the work yourself.

O.P., go 4.10 if you have long term plans on the 31's (like, if you plan to DD it so much you will likely use up the 31's before new tires are needed).

hmm all that $ to beef up the hp30 to get it to where it's strong enough isn't cheaper than swapping in a j yard or othereise sourced used 44 that's pretty much strong enough stock?

not that I care but that doesn't sound right.

and the smarter thing of course that's debatable if your never going to big tires you don't need it.

I have 4.56's and 30's currently (waiting until my 30's wear out so i can go 33). It's been a great setup so far! The freeway isn't as bad as i expected it to be, the engine is constantly in its power band and it just hums along. If i have to floor it to pass or something the rpm's jump up to 3600 which still isn't that bad.

hmm all that $ to beef up the hp30 to get it to where it's strong enough isn't cheaper than swapping in a j yard or othereise sourced used 44 that's pretty much strong enough stock?

not that I care but that doesn't sound right.

and the smarter thing of course that's debatable if your never going to big tires you don't need it.

Last I checked, JY D44's don't come with lockers, alloy shafts (if you need a D44, you need alloys), lower gears, or coil/link bracketry.

x2 on what Bob said And is there really a need to swap in a 44? hp30 will be good up to a 35's if it's not locked or beaten to death.

glad to see this posted.. i'm debating the exact same setup..

3" lift and plan on running 31s, MAX 32" and im serious.

wondering how much more fuel efficient the 4:10s are vs the extra power but worse mpg w/4:56..

hmm wasnt aware that a 44 was so weak without alloys..

also i do realize that he doesnt really need a 44 i was talking about if there was posibility of running bigger tires..

oh yea ill post up rpm at highway speed once i confirm how off my speedo is now. whatever it is it rides nice

hmm wasnt aware that a 44 was so weak without alloys..

also i do realize that he doesnt really need a 44 i was talking about if there was posibility of running bigger tires..

oh yea ill post up rpm at highway speed once i confirm how off my speedo is now. whatever it is it rides nice
It's not really "so weak"...the D30 and D44 both run the same size u-joint, and the c-clips are tha same weak link on both.

A D44 has beefier housing, carrier, R&P, and 30 spline shafts. It's stronger overall...it just takes the same amount (or more) of money as a D30.

I would run a D44, but I would be doing 100% of the work myself.

On my street XJ I'm running 4.10 and 30's, its not low enough for me. I did see a mpg increase in town, no change on the highway.

On my trail rig I'm running 4.88's and 35's, I have a "polished" 30 but I'm still not easy on it and I've only snapped one ring gear. 4.88 is still not low enough for me, I want 5.13

My suggestion would be go 4.56 or 4.88 and be done with it.

Back