• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

302 MJ

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
So I have a line on a good running 5.0 out of a fox body with computer and all for a good price. I had a 302 in my 88 F150 and was not a fan but I figure a cheap good running motor out of anything is better than a busted ass 2.8. I will give the 5.0 one thing. No matter what the thing ran, even with a bad oil pump so I figure stuffing one in a small truck will be a good time. Its not my DD so why the hell not. I figure I'm gonna need 3" of lift to clear the pan. The motor is gonna stay pretty much stock with an exhaust and intake and thats it. I just don't have the heart to sell an MJ with a good body and may as well do something with it. Any suggestions(ARNIE :D)?

Do IT!

I had a 302 lined up to put in my 2wd Ranger but I never pulled the trigger cause I couldn't find the transmission I wanted. I wish I had kept that truck, done the engine and converted it to 4wd. Would have been bad!

1990 LWB Extended cab, short bed on some 35s and a 302. :)

Do IT!

I had a 302 lined up to put in my 2wd Ranger but I never pulled the trigger cause I couldn't find the transmission I wanted. I wish I had kept that truck, done the engine and converted it to 4wd. Would have been bad!

1990 LWB Extended cab, short bed on some 35s and a 302. :)

I'm thinking 3" lift LWB MJ with 31's and a 302........wonder how long the turdy-5 will last! :D While I'm at it I'll throw an 8.8 in the bed for when i make the 35 go boom! I was thinking of using the AOD trans with it, thats what my old truck had and i never had a problem out of that trans.

For a small truck with a big engine I'd HAVE to have a manual transmission.

I can't because of Muscular Dystrophy, Auto only!

I'd slap a 3.4 in it before a Ford motor with ANY ford auto trans. 3.4 is bolt in iirc.

I'd slap a 3.4 in it before a Ford motor with ANY ford auto trans. 3.4 is bolt in iirc.

V6=boring and sounds like a wet fart
V8=exciting and sounds awsome

and to the OP dont be discuraged by the old 5.0 u had in your truck, the trucks had a low output turd, lot less power then the stang motors and they were n heavy trucks, the stang motor shall be very nice in a mj

Yes 3.4L GM V6 is bolt-in, just swap intake/carb ( or convert to EFI ).
I would sell the Ford junk and buy a better V8/trans.

GM lovers with the blinders on spew such BS.

Nothing wrong with the Ford 302 out of a Mustang and I'm not even a "Ford person".

:rolleyes:

I am not a gm lover. I'd rather bolt a motor in and drive than start a full drivetrain swap from another brand of vehicle though.

Do it. I want to put a 90's 302 in my xj with the aod. They are an easy swap from what I read with the Mustang computer and harness. All self contained with grounds and 12v+ the only thing needed.

I found out its an interceptor engine, that coupled with an exhaust and drop in filter should make it a fun truck. Yeah I could do a chevy swap but it would be a 5.3 which can be done of course but the 302 should be a lot easier.

Back