• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hi clearance exhausts, who's got 'em?

rockclimber

Associate
NAXJA Member
what are you guys running for exhausts to keep them up high.

my cat and muffler hang down pretty low, even tucked all the way up against the body

remember, a pic is worth a thousand words :looney:

2011-10-23_18-43-56_942.jpg

I have a pipe that exits behind the rear doors past that, but this is all I got for photos of it.

Is that a glasspack tucked in under the stock crossmember? What about your cat?

You don't want the Cat pushed up against the floor. The condensation built up on the other side will rot the floor. Look at any floor restore, you will see the corrosion follows the exhaust.

As far as the muffler, go with an OEM style welded muffler. They are shorter and won't tend to catch on every little thing.

I am not a fan of the glass pack. 1st, they are not legal to use in a National Forest because they do not trap sparks. 2nd, they are un-necessarily loud and produce harmonics inside the cab.

The best combo I found so far is an OEM style Cat followed by a welded OEM type muffler. Use good clamps, the OEM ones work nicely. For durability, weld everything together.

-Ron

mines completely welded and tucked up as high as it can go in the factory location with no floor modifications. my muffler is plated with 1/8", i have a small high flow cat and it still gets torn apart. :(

Time for a belly pan?

Is that a glasspack tucked in under the stock crossmember? What about your cat?

Yes it is, it barely clears. As for the cat the late model XJ's have one right after the manifold IIRC you could run something of that fashion on yours and it would never hit rocks either.

Noise level on mine isn't to bad not really a bad drone on the freeway it dumps right behind the passenger rear door. It is definitely quieter than open headers, which is what I was running and quieter and better sounding than the rusted out welded stocker that was in it and leaking from it and the OEM cat.

I have a piece of heat shield off a zj (~5ft long waffle thing, covers whole passenger floor) fastened to the underside like it was on the zj and I tuck a dynomax super turbo, which is short and quiet like the stocker, where the cat is supposed to be (historic, no cat) right behind the cross member.

Last edited:
Now I know my rear suspension setup is a bit different than most, but the same thing could be done easily with leaf springs. Only requires the fuel tank to be relocated. No longer have to worry about the muffler getting hit.

RearAxleExhaustShot.jpg

Now I know my rear suspension setup is a bit different than most, but the same thing could be done easily with leaf springs. Only requires the fuel tank to be relocated. No longer have to worry about the muffler getting hit.

Yep.

3326329575_6b977a6f75_b.jpg

I routed the tailpipe out the pass-thru in the frame rail where the filler neck used to be.

Using a flexible coupling at the downpipe and hard-mounting the rest of the exhaust lets you get a lot more clearance without worrying about it rattling etc.

Mine is about even with the frame rails.

4187.jpg

4189.jpg

Looks good. Which brands/parts did you use?

Ultimately, this is what I want to do but I've not gotten to the relocated gas tank yet.

Yep.

3326329575_6b977a6f75_b.jpg

I routed the tailpipe out the pass-thru in the frame rail where the filler neck used to be.

Using a flexible coupling at the downpipe and hard-mounting the rest of the exhaust lets you get a lot more clearance without worrying about it rattling etc.

Hey vet or anyone else with a 4-link that wishes to chime in...

Are there any negatives to having the cat and muffler so far back from the engine? I think I read something somewhere about the cat needing to be a certain distance.

Hey vet or anyone else with a 4-link that wishes to chime in...

Are there any negatives to having the cat and muffler so far back from the engine? I think I read something somewhere about the cat needing to be a certain distance.

X2.

I've been wanting to move my cat and muffler back to over the axle to maximize clearance.

Back