• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many people have detroit lockers for the 8.25?

Demolition_x

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for some feed back. I have currently gone through 2 aussie lockers and I am sick of dealing with them for the moment. (both were set up within spec work great for about 400 miles then they will not stay locked up in a straight line)

So now I am looking at a full case locker to replace the Aussie.

Just curious how many people have them and how they like them. All the info I see online seems to be positive and it is hard to find someone who has one where it has failed.

No Aussie locker for Me. I have a No-Slip in Mine. 30 thousand miles over 3 years & trouble free. The Detroit locker is a great locker though. Had one in a car of mine years ago. Held up to huge horsepower & many drag strip runs. I would like a selectable, but they are just too darned expensive. Keep an eye out, cause I wouls suspect You could get a used selectable locker for not much more than a new Detroit.

I have a 44 with a Detroit, I know its different axle but the locker still works the same. Anyway, I love it. It works great and has been very reliable, I've got about 35,000 miles on it now. I drive a manual tranny and occasionally when I change gears or start from a light in first you get the typical pop or bang but thats just inherent with any auto locker. I'm not sure how aggressive the Aussie is but I know sometimes going down a steep, slippery hills the Detroit makes the back end a little slippy but you just have to be aware of that. I'd say go for it! Mine has been awesome. I would like to go ARB eventually but I'm in no rush at all. On a side note I do run a loc right lunch box in the front and it doesn't slip. To bad for the Aussie, I actually wanted one but the were sold out. I hear those are great lockers!

I have a Detroit locker in my 93 Cherokee with 8.25 rear and 27 spline axles. Its great. No issues. Quite operation and if forgiving going around corners in city. I had a power-trax locker before that. What a POS. The thing would pop constently and bind up.

Go with the Detroit, you will thank me later.

I haven't had problems with my no-slip either after nearly 40k miles.

Seeing how tons of people use detroit lockers in huge axles with huge tires, I'd say you'd be perfectly fine with one in your 8.25" rear. Only ones I've ever seen broken were in race applications.

I have a Detroit locker in my 93 Cherokee with 8.25 rear and 27 spline axles. Its great. No issues. Quite operation and if forgiving going around corners in city. I had a power-trax locker before that. What a POS. The thing would pop constently and bind up.

Go with the Detroit, you will thank me later.

Thats what I am thinking. The additional cost now is worth the investment and less cursing down the road.

Installed the Detroit locker in the 29 spline C8.25 (w/AX-15) almost 9 years ago; it's been running synthetic gear lube since then and has performed very well....

I have ran a Detroit in my 8.25, then the Currie HP 9'' and orderd one with the new Rock Jock 60 sitting the shop. Never had any issues with the lockers.

I have a 29 spline and i was looking into lockers. I wanted a no-slip untill i learned how many ppl have problems. Tons say they have no problem others say they pop bind alot, and th install goes horribly...

How exactly does the detroit work?

hows it do as a DD. I see alot of rain and i get no traction thru turns off of a complete stop. I do wheel but mildly.

Is it that bad acceling out of a turn with a detroit???
How about reliability?

Im leaning toward a detroit and not a no-slip due to the fact lots of ppl have problems with the install and its a big hassle to fix without braking paddles. I know lots of ppl have a no-slip and due fine but i hear detroits are easier to set up and real strong.

I dd my xj with the detroit in the back, and have no problems, a little squirrly in the ice, but no other problems. My wife dd's her xj with a detroit (both 29 sp 8.25) in the back with no problems. as far as turning i havent spun out, but i havent really pushed it either....

I Live in ohio so i see ice to. What do you mean squirlly??? How about giving it a good amount of skinny pedal turning right from a red light??? I drive kinda fast so like when im stopped and i go to turn i give it some umph

hows it do as a DD. I see alot of rain and i get no traction thru turns off of a complete stop. I do wheel but mildly.

Is it that bad acceling out of a turn with a detroit???
How about reliability?

Im leaning toward a detroit and not a no-slip due to the fact lots of ppl have problems with the install and its a big hassle to fix without braking paddles. I know lots of ppl have a no-slip and due fine but i hear detroits are easier to set up and real strong.
I have found that in the rain I actually get better traction than an open diff accelerating around a turn. I guess the reason is that instead of one wheel spinning fast and getting no traction at all, both wheels slip just a little and maintain much better traction. I guess the overall traction is better from partial traction on both wheels than no traction on one wheel. I don't think this would be so in snow but I have found that in the rain I would have to floor it and sharply turn the wheel to spin out. Accelerating through a turn on dry ground just causes the inside wheel to squeel a bit.

Back