• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installed my OME lift, question regarding coil spring length

Boost_Retard

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got around to installing my "super ultimate" dpg ome/jks lift on my 01, (i opted for the 3.5" lift)

the coil springs are not the same length,i did not measure the exact difference but it was not much, a few mm, so i figured the longer spring would be for the drivers side..everything looks great but im now wondering if the longer spring should be on the passenger side for battery weight and torque compensation(i suppose since the springs are from Auz, they would have to deal with the torque, battery and driver all on the one side)?? anyone have any input on this?? if i put it on the wrong side i will swap it when i go to re check my bolt torque in a day or so..

this was my first go at modding an XJ, but everything went in great, other than the rear leafs, i thought i might get off easy when it came to seized bushing sleeves seeing as its a newer 2001 cherokee, but that was not the case.

a few torch cuts on the leafs, and a few zip disk cuts to the remaining spring around the bushing, and through the bushing left me with just loose bolts and seized on sleeves, the air chisel broke the sleeves free then everthing came apart no problem. i spent more time thinking about what to do then it actually took to get the springs off in the end.

next weekend im going to borrow a hoist and install my true tracks front and rear, and swap out my 3.55 gears for the 4.11s i bought, follwed by a new pair of solid diff covers, then the jeep is complete for now.

the currie steering droped right in as well, i have yet to beat it up but its a nice looking setup and was a direct replacment for the stock setup

Choice is really yours as to what side to install the coils. If anything grab a spare pair of stock coil spring isolators and toss one on one side? For the axles, I would recommend lube locker gaskets.

yeah maybe i should just run it for a while and see how it sits after some abuse, if one side is slumping i can swap it out then.

i had a look at those lube locker gaskets a while back, i will be sure to pick up a set, diff covers came with some RTV but a proper reuasble gasket could save me some greif in the future.
forgot all about those gaskets, thanks for the tip

I'd assume the taller coil would be for the drive side, the weight of the battery isn't enough to warrant a bigger coil I'd think.

If it's only a few Milimeters, I wouldn't worry about it.

But if you want to worry about, the engine/tranny/transfercase is offset to the passenger side about an inch off center.

Call Dirk over at DPG. 316-776-9900 He'll take the time to talk you through how it should be installed. He's by far the largest OME dealer in the U.S. Got that way through exceptional customer service.

i bought my lift through Dirk months ago, i had talked to him back then about some questions i had and he was a great help, actually im pretty sure we talked about this spring length but i cant be sure now of what he said back then..lost my notes:dunce:
i will give him a call when i get to re torquing, thanks for the #.
i was actually looking at your motor mounts the other day, they are next on my list of things to do, along with some new factory mounts elsewhere.

to anyone thinking about buying OME parts, call DPG, i have had a great experience with them so far and im in Canada, he really went the extra mile to help me out with some of the shipping, and even when it came to selecting the lift. all in all i am very happy with the end result and will be dealing with them again in the future

Just ordered my 3.5" kit for my 2000 XJ from Dirk! Can't wait to get it up and going. Got Aussie lockers front and rear for it too.
Good to hear your happy with it.
Brian

i have some work to do with my rear drive shaft as i have picked up a mild grumble since the lift (no SYE or t case drop,will fix it this weekend) but other than that the jeep is better in every way compared to the sagged out stock suspension..i went with the nitro sport shocks and the medium "progressive" rear springs and medium coils..rides great with the stock bumpers, fits 31x10.5 mickey thompson MTZs well in the late style fenders. looks great also. kinda like what a jeep should have looked like from the factory IMO

i have yet to install my truetracks, but once i get them in i will take it to the bush, im thinkin it will do pretty well! you will be happy once you get it all installed!! even when the parts show up, i was impressed with the quality of the JKS components. its a very nice kit

Do you have any pics of your XJ after the lift? How do you like those tires??
I'm just not sure what to get...I really like Mickey Thompson tires, that's what I run on my '70 Duster for drag racing. They're just so damn pricey!!
Been thinking about Goodyear DuraTracks...ahhhh I don't know.
Brian

No pic, i will take one tomorrow and post it up.
the MTZ tires look the part with the side biters, they have lots of sipes for a mud tire, they do well as a dual purpose tire, great logging road/bush type tire, non directional..not the best off road tire, not the best snow tire or road tire but good all around..

i have yet to try them off road with this cherokee but i off roaded alot in a friends YJ that runs the same size MTZs, and i run them as rear tires on my off road race buggy,and so far they have been good on the road and icy conditions with the XJ.
i also use mickey thompson baja pro tires on my buggy, i am a fan of mickeys myself..used to run baja claws also..good tires IMO

i have some work to do with my rear drive shaft as i have picked up a mild grumble since the lift (no SYE or t case drop,will fix it this weekend) but other than that the jeep is better in every way compared to the sagged out stock suspension..i went with the nitro sport shocks and the medium "progressive" rear springs and medium coils..rides great with the stock bumpers, fits 31x10.5 mickey thompson MTZs well in the late style fenders. looks great also. kinda like what a jeep should have looked like from the factory IMO

I can't wait to see a picture of your set up. I've been talking with Dirk and he has me thinking about getting a dual rate rear spring that has a helper leaf. I haven't convinced myself that's what I want to do yet.

Back