• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hhhheeelllp!!! 2000 XJ with motor issue, cam or cam sensor / DIS damage?

00blownmotor

NAXJA Forum User
hello folks,
my mom has a 2000 cherokee and it wont go over 30 miles an hour. the car has less thak 140k miles on it and seemed to run great untill she got in it one daay to go to the store. Had it towed to the shop and the shop said that the cam shaft is toast and that it would cost more than the car is worth to fix. the car is in great shape and really hasnt had any major problems. any advice?

Re: hhhheeelllp!!!

With that info the only advice I can tell you is to get to a different shop. Try a competent shop this time.

Can you give us some more details?

Last edited:

Check engine light on? If so, pull the code(s)!

I'd start with codes, but also get a vacuum gauge on it and see if there's any information there.

I'd also check, if this happened suddenly one morning, to make sure that mice have not nested in the air intake. Really.

edit to add: by the way, there's plenty of room in the title of a thread to tell us what it's about. You might get more responses from people who know what to do, if you tell them what your problem is up front.

i just found the invoice from the shop..and it is as follows
"tow in ck. eng light on. runs poor no power ck. and report
scan for DTC's 3 codes all cylinder misfire codes. inspect camshaft sensor driven gear and inspect cam drive gear. cam worn out"

thank you so much for any advice and the current thread posts you folks are the best!

she said that one day the turned it on and herd a "bang" and it ran really rough. this car used to do that a lot and then you rev it up and it would run great so she didnt think much of it...but this time it didnt do that t stayed rough and she shut it off and called the shop. hmmm

Cam sensor drive could be damaged. They are known to freeze up. Could have damaged a tooth. Its also the oil pump drive so you might want to take a look at it. It might just need to be reset or replaced. While you have it out take a look at the cam gear and see how it is.

You will need to know how to find TDC. See here:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/so-i-removed-my-oil-cap-find-1094879/index4.html#post10085761
and here:
http://motorage.search-autoparts.co...estandard//motorage/292005/169830/article.pdf

Have you checked the oil and coolant. The 2000 IIRC was known for cracked heads, the 0331 casting was notorious.

Clogged exhaust, bad throttle position sensor, bad CPS (Crank, not Cam, position sensor)CPS could be going bad, any one of which is cheap, easy to replace, and could cause the low power, low speed problem. How old are the spark plugs, wires, etc???? My money is on a bad TPS to start with, and maybe a bad cat converter or muffler (clogged up). A simple vacuum gauge test would show the clogged exhaust.

I would pull all the spark plugs and inspect them for signs of problems, oil, coolant, black, brown, gap too wide and so on. The are photo maps online for troubleshoot based on the what the spark plugs look like!!!

awesome!!! thanks soo much folks!! i replaced the head on it anout 2 years ago when it had a bout 112k on it. it had a hairline crack in it and coolant would "disappear" so to speak to i see what you are all saying..so firsties tcheck the oil and look for coolant and so forth?

Back