• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box advice

Mr Spock

NAXJA Forum User
Well I went into this project to replace the cracked exhaust manifold on my 97XJ, 4L, 4wd, auto. Now that I have it all apart with some reasonable access I am thinking of doing the Durango steering box upgrade. My current box is leaking so it needs a seal job anyway. Seems like it would be easier to do the swap now with all the intake and exhaust stuff off?

Any advice? See any problem leaving her open (that is not reinstall the manifolds) for about a week while I get a Durango box; oh and go to work to pay for all this :)

Cheers

ive never put a box in from above. but mite be a lil easier for ya. i got a rebuilt durango box from rockauto for under a hundred bucks a couple months ago fyi.

I don't think having the exhaust and intake out of the way would really make a huge difference. I tend to like tackling one big project at a time so I would get the intake/exhaust done then start the steering box project.

With the air filter box out of the way you really have all the room you need. The fittings on the top of the box are the toughest thing to reach I thought.

it's easy as shit to install from below so I don't know why you'd want to try from above. Just remove the stock airbox and you'll have oodles of room.

Here's my writeup from when I fought the bitch - biggest PITA was holding the box in place my myself with one hand whist simultaneously trying to slide the steering shaft collar onto the input for the box.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059675

I don't think having the exhaust and intake out of the way would really make a huge difference. I tend to like tackling one big project at a time so I would get the intake/exhaust done then start the steering box project.

With the air filter box out of the way you really have all the room you need. The fittings on the top of the box are the toughest thing to reach I thought.

it's easy as shit to install from below so I don't know why you'd want to try from above. Just remove the stock airbox and you'll have oodles of room.

Here's my writeup from when I fought the bitch - biggest PITA was holding the box in place my myself with one hand whist simultaneously trying to slide the steering shaft collar onto the input for the box.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059675
What these guys said, easy enough just taking the air box out.

Back