• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much $$$ did yall spend on your full widths..??

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Considering going full width within the next few months, just wanna know what kinda money I plan on spending. Along with the price what are yall running?? Thanks much

With that amount of money invested in those axles I`m assuming u set up the gears, lockers, and welded the mounts yourself? Also what is the actual WMS measurements on both axles?

I spent the following, these are California prices so it may be cheaper where you are.

Used '79 3/4 ton D44 H/P front $550
ARB $639 (Complete Offroad.com)
5.13 gears $179 + install kit (Yukon)
Hi-Steer arms $125 (Shaker Built)
DOM steering w/heims $170 (mostly heims in cost)

Used 14Bolt $100
Detroit $329 (yea!) (Complete Offroad.com)
5.13 gears $179 + install kit (Yukon)
Used 3/4 ton Chevy rotors & 1/2 ton calipers $140 (yea!)

I did all the setup on the axles and fabbed the leaf perches & front end 3 link brackets, TB brackets, shock mounts & etc. All this will need to be done on yours so figure that into your estimate. Also figure on rebuilding steering for the new axles and buying brake parts, brake lines, bearings & etc.

Good luck on your project! :D

Vintagespeed....
What year and vehicle did u get tht 14 bolt from? Also what the WMS on the HP44 and 14bolt?

Keep in mind there is a huge difference in cost on a D-60 front vs a D-44 front. Not only in original purchase price for a drivers drop Ford RS 60, but also the parts to rebuild and upgrade the axle.

You can find complete 1969 - 1980 Ford RS 44's for $250. Ford RS kingpin 60's will run around $1,000, and they usually need at least new brakes. Later model ball joint 60's are a bit less, but have less desirable high steer options (in my estimation).

CRASH

BIG98XJ said:
With that amount of money invested in those axles I`m assuming u set up the gears, lockers, and welded the mounts yourself? Also what is the actual WMS measurements on both axles?

I paid somebody to do the gears/locker, but he gave me a good deal. Everything else i'm doing myself. The front is 69" and the rear is 65.5"

I paid $300 for my D44 and 9"
4.88's cost $600 w/ master rebuilds
Install of gears ran $400
Rebuilt them myself, new seals, bearings, ujoints, brake
components

the axles are out of a 79 Bronco, obviously 1/2T :D

14 bolt, about 500, (still working on the disc brakes) will be around 700 when dond

60 hp kingpin front, too much (not sure of the total, 2500 into it so far)
4.88's, detroit, highsteer arms, full hydro steering, 35 spline outers w/ full circle clips machined, kingpin rebuild, new yoke. etc...

I paid somebody to do the gears/locker, but he gave me a good deal.

Yeah he did!

CRASH

D44 HD $200
D60 $200

plus bearings, gears, lockers, beadlocks, tires, gearsetup. longarm fabrication, steering fab, shocks, hydraulic assist.

Total a few $$$ shy of $5K :eek: :eek: :eek:

And i did most of the work myself. It was only when I did a spreadsheet did I see the full cost, WOW!

And I still did cheap bastard stuff like welded rear, and lockrighted front.

found a 1976 F350 2wheel drive SWR for $500 with motor and all..

draged it home, took the dana 70 for free sold the motor within two weeks in the paper, sold a door, gass tanks some other misc stuff. then got $35 for its weight in metal..

it sat in my garage for 10months or so through all that, but got a free rear end will saving to buy the front dana 60
download.php

Found the front dana 60 all the way in wisconsin... payed $100 shipped in rusted junk yard shape, 40k miles with 4.10 gears...

download.php

The rear end only needed a good cleaning, new shoes, and new right hand studs on teh drivers side.. new right hand lug nuts..

the front needed new king pins, king pin bolts, rotors, studs lug nuts, calipers, high steer arm, king pin covers, tierod drag link, rod ends, drive shafts, brakelines, PAINT, TIME, welded (locker)....alot of stuff. still with 4.10 gears, is close to $2000 after getting it on there....

download.php

Im over a year into the build, only 4 months on that actually involving the cherokee and it looks like $2000 can get you started... then it can be upgraded..

download.php

BIG98XJ said:
Vintagespeed....
What year and vehicle did u get tht 14 bolt from? Also what the WMS on the HP44 and 14bolt?

The 14 bolt came out of a 1 ton non-dually Chevy pickup. The dually axles are narrower I believe. They can be found all over the junkyard in trucks, vans. Not sure the wms distance, I believe it is 67". The front is 69" and with 5.38" b/s on the wheels they tuck in pretty nice (for full width axles).

rear.jpg

Back