• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Flush over 100,000 miles?

CoastieJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting some conflicting opinions from mechanics on whether or not a transmission flush is advised on my '96 Cherokee Sport 4.0 4WD auto. It would seem some places won't touch a vehicles tranny after 100K miles (Sears Auto Center). It has 135,000 miles, I purchased the vehicle at 94K and immediately changed all the fluids (including the tranny). All the service had been done prior to my purchase. Is this advised or should I leave it alone? She runs fine right now but I want to make this vehicle go over 200K if possible and would like to stick to regular maintenance. Any help would be appreciated.

Just pull the plug, drain it, and refill it with between 3 and 4 quarts of tranny fluid. Do that every 15,000 miles and monitor the fluid condition.

You mention "all the service has been done prior to my purchase". So can we assume that the previous owner changed tranny fluid a few times when they owned it? If they did, and the fluid wasn't particularly discolored or burnt when you bought it, then I agree with the above strategy from cruiser54. Use Dex/Merc III compatible fluid. Widely available.

No flush needed, simply use the drain plug in the pan. Drain/re-fill 3-4 quarts of Dexron-III/Mercon, once a week for 4 weeks, or until the drained fluid looks like the new fluid. I drain 3-4 quarts once a year and it always looks clean.

No flush needed, simply use the drain plug in the pan. Drain/re-fill 3-4 quarts of Dexron-III/Mercon, once a week for 4 weeks, or until the drained fluid looks like the new fluid. I drain 3-4 quarts once a year and it always looks clean.

This is the way to go, I used Pep boys ATF that comes in the gallon Jug for $10, I did 6 change-outs the fluid looked brand new.
Also consider installing a cooler http://www.amazon.com/70255-SuperCo...2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1322311638&sr=1-2/& inline tranny filter http://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-Mag...ZA94/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1322311518&sr=8-4 , This will drastically extend the life of the tranny.

It has 135,000 miles, I purchased the vehicle at 94K and immediately changed all the fluids (including the tranny)....but I want to make this vehicle go over 200K if possible and would like to stick to regular maintenance...

So, at best it's been 40K since you (or anyone) drained and filled??
Look at your owners manual and check the "regular maintenance" items. I've done regular maintenance on my XJ, probably over-regular and it runs like a top at 235K

Just pull the plug, drain it, and refill it with between 3 and 4 quarts of tranny fluid.

Measure what you drain out, put the same amount back in. Don't guess-timate.

What about the filter? I always drop the pan and change it.

Yes, it is just a screen, but it's still a maintenance item. If you are up for dropping the pan and changing the filter...why not. Upgrade the gasket, check your magnets.

I'm getting some conflicting opinions from mechanics on whether or not a transmission flush is advised on my '96 Cherokee Sport 4.0 4WD auto. It would seem some places won't touch a vehicles tranny after 100K miles (Sears Auto Center). It has 135,000 miles, I purchased the vehicle at 94K and immediately changed all the fluids (including the tranny). All the service had been done prior to my purchase. Is this advised or should I leave it alone? She runs fine right now but I want to make this vehicle go over 200K if possible and would like to stick to regular maintenance. Any help would be appreciated.

I went through the same thing as you. I wanted to do a complete flush etc, after lots of research I decided against a flush. The one thing that stuck in my mind was, that during a flush if something gets loosened up and starts to float around in there it could get lodged in the valve body and then you're up a creek. I did what everyone has suggested. I drained the pan and added new fluid, I'm going to put about 50-75 miles and then do it again and again till the fluid is clean. My tranny shifts fine but the fluid when I got the XJ a few weeks ago was terrible I mean terrible. It smelt so bad it made the gear oil smell good. I'm getting ready (just ordered everything last night) to install a B&M trans cooler and Gauge, besides the tranny fluid change this will also help in keeping my tranny alive for what I hope is a long time.

here is a link to well written article on the subject of installing a Trans cooler.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/transmission-cooler-gauge-install-lots-pics-546626/

With the price of a new transmiision anything you can do to keep it going will help. I've test driven quite a few jeeps while I was looking for mine and some had 260-290,000 miles on the them and the trans had never been replaced, My son's Grand Cherokee has 240,000+ on the original tranny and its fine.

So Im wondering if anyone has ran seafoams transtune in the AW4 because my fluid is smelly and its been shifting like crap I have drained and replaced fluid and it was no better Im planning on dropping the pan this next weekand changing the filter .I thought about running 1/2 the can to maybe knock some chit out of the trans as I have no place near me that has a trans flush setup .

Well I went ahead with the flush today at Aamco. I think they ended up cycling about 16 gallons thru the tranny. Put quite a few miles on it today. Call me crazy, but it shifts much smoother now. Thanks for your opinions on the topic...

So Im wondering if anyone has ran seafoams transtune in the AW4 because my fluid is smelly and its been shifting like crap I have drained and replaced fluid and it was no better Im planning on dropping the pan this next weekand changing the filter .I thought about running 1/2 the can to maybe knock some chit out of the trans as I have no place near me that has a trans flush setup .

Running anything but Tranny fluid in the AW4 is asking for trouble.

OverdriveXJ while you are installing the cooler Install a Magnefine in-line filter also, you will be very happy with how nice & clean your tranny fluid stays!

Last edited:
Well I went ahead with the flush today at Aamco. I think they ended up cycling about 16 gallons thru the tranny. Put quite a few miles on it today. Call me crazy, but it shifts much smoother now. Thanks for your opinions on the topic...

Thats the way to do it, I just don't see why people go thru all the trouble of multiple drain/refills, a single flush is much more effective and simpler.

You can do it your self with two people, just remove one hose from the trans cooler, start the jeep and while one person is holding the hose in a bucket the other one pours trans fluid in and when it starts to come out clean turn off the car and put the hose back on the cooler. This will flush the whole system converter and everything.

Don't assume your transmission had the right amount of fluid in it in the first place. Drain it out and service it to the right level on the dipstick according to the manual.

confirm the level is right before pulling the plug, drain out X quarts, replace with X quarts, then double check the dipstick.

.... I just don't see why people go thru all the trouble of multiple drain/refills, a single flush is much more effective and simpler.

Ever hear any stories about how a vehicle owner got a higher mileage Transmission flushed at a shop and the Transmission blew up soon after ? Yup, heard that one a lot. Dislodged debris from the power flush is the most common reason given. ( You should also allow for lack of routine maintenance. )

Ever hear any stories about how a Cherokee owner used the drain plug and had the transmission blow up ? Nope, never heard that one.

I buy Dex-III/Merc in gallon bottles at the Farm and Fleet store or WalMart. AW-4 drain and refill takes less time than an oil change. I changed the trans filter at 75,000, it was discolored, but not actually dirty.

confirm the level is right before pulling the plug, drain out X quarts, replace with X quarts, then double check the dipstick.

So instead of doing 4 steps that take 15 minutes, you want to do 7 steps that take an hour?

If I'm checking the dipstick before I start and when I finish, why am I going to spend 30 minutes measuring how much fluid came out of the transmission?

:dunno:

Ever hear any stories about how a vehicle owner got a higher mileage Transmission flushed at a shop and the Transmission blew up soon after ? Yup, heard that one a lot. Dislodged debris from the power flush is the most common reason given. ( You should also allow for lack of routine maintenance. )

Ever hear any stories about how a Cherokee owner used the drain plug and had the transmission blow up ? Nope, never heard that one.

I buy Dex-III/Merc in gallon bottles at the Farm and Fleet store or WalMart. AW-4 drain and refill takes less time than an oil change. I changed the trans filter at 75,000, it was discolored, but not actually dirty.

I'm with Tim 100% on this one.

Back