• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ - Camshaft position sensor alignment questions

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I'm about to be doing an ignition system tune-up on my 2001 XJ and wanted to calibrate my camshaft position sensor while I'm at it (as I just crossed the 179,000 mile mark and figure it couldn't hurt).

I understand that I need to first align the crankshaft at top-dead center on the compression stroke, which is no issue now that I've located and cleaned the index on the block...

My question is this - do I need to remove the whole sensor and oil pump drive assembly, or just the sensor itself? I assume that I have to remove the whole sensor/drive/shaft assembly to ensure that the assembly can rotate when re-aligning it (a la toothpick).

Any tips you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yeah, I've read it a couple times but thought too hard about it I guess, lol. The FSM only details the alignment of the sensor within the context of removing/replacing the whole oil pump drive shaft.

If it's just the sensor itself I have to remove, I'm quite glad, lol. Out of curiosity though - does the vane that you align with the toothpick rotate freely on the shaft? I'm just having trouble understanding how it can be aligned with the oil pump drive shaft engaged/seated.

Picture #7 shows the vane and a toothpick. Yes, the vane spins on a shaft, much like a distributor rotor.

I don't think you have to remove anything.

Without access to a DRB tool, it seems to me all that you can do is bring it to top dead center on compression stroke, check alignment using the toothpick. If it is off a little from timing chain stretch, you can loosen the hold down clamp and bolt on the oil pump drive and make a minor rotational adjustment to get the tootpick to line up.

Be sure to mark everything as is before your adjustment, in case you want to get back to where you were.

don't you have to re-sync the cam and crank sensor with a dealer scan tool?

No, that's the topic of the whole article that is linked, how to re-sync the cam sensor without a dealer scan tool.

Thanks for all the input guys - I checked the sensor while doing my ignition tune-up (went back to NGKs from Champions) and it turns out it was already spot-on (though there was a fair amount of black debris inside). Figured it was worth at least checking with 180,000 miles on the clock.

I fought this problem for a week and then finally saw the cam sensor warbling with engine running. It wasn't seized but it was defineitely not turning freely. 2000XJ w/175K. The cam sensor drive is $300 at the dealer plus an aditional $90 for the sensor. For $65 at NAPA the sensor drive includes the $90 sensor.

When installing make sure the oil passage is lined up so the shaft gets lubricated.

Thanks for the link Tim.

The oil passage doesn't line up with anything as there is no pressurized oil feed to the body. There is just splash lubrication. Line it up so the sensor socket pints towards the rear. Best thing you can do is pump the body with oil through the hole prior to installation.

Back