• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no fire/no fuel/no way to pull codes

blue83

NAXJA Forum User
i own a 92' xj with the 4.0 ho. i was driving home and the azzhole just died on me. i get it pulled over and see the engine control fuse is blown. replaced it and nothing. new coil-nothing. autozone of coarse is tryin to sell me a new computer but i ain't ready to go there yet...i got no fire to coil,fuel pump not kicken on. cps test fine. no icm in this year. no obd port either.
i tried to get my check engine light to flash the code but it wont do anything but stare at me. i looked in old threads but nobody ever said what actually fixed the issue.
please help before i lose faith in my xj and light a match....:explosion

if there isn't icm then what is in the distributer? stator? or am i way off??

Could have been a shorted power wire to the ECU, that hit a ground, bad insulation, took out the fuse, but not before it fried the wire. But it sure does sound like a loss of the ECU, or wiring to the ECU.

Exactly what fuse blew? Follow that wire! Check to see if it goes through the ignition switch, maybe the Ignition switch is fried.

there are like 10 different computers for this year jeep... my luck, mine doesnt have a label to tell me which one it is. dealership is confused on which one to sell me cuz there are so many different ones... VIN # didn't narrow it down either... gonna trace wires first though. i like that idea better than $247 when i am unsure...

I think you just get one that's specific to what transmission you have. I wouldnt mess with the dealer on this. If it was me I'd get one from the junkyard.

Sounds like yours was already replaced once.

Sounds like yours was already replaced once.

Nope. 4 XJ/MJ's in and havent had to replace a computer yet.

To the Op, I can tell you this is a very easy and straight forward repair. Harness plugs right in. Get one cheap. That way if something else caused the computer to fail you wont be out much and youll know to further troubleshoot. This may seem like backwards logic to some but i pull my own parts and pay bottom dollar. Its not worth my time to troubleshoot something like this to death if signs point to a specific part. Im speaking generally here.

Does the check engine light light up when the key is turned to run?

Back