• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans stuck in OD

sandweezal

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 xj with 97 wire harness 4x4, 4L, automatic. On my way home the I stopped for a second and got out. When I went to take off, the Jeep is stuck in od. Reverse works fine, no codes, all fuses look fine, trans oil and filter replaced in july. I had to put in 4 low to get enough rpm and gear to make it move. If in 2 hi and put in gear, the jeep shakes bad and will die. fluid smells fine. Shifting the shifter in 1,2,3, had no affect on the trans. I can run 2 hi if I am moving in neutral and hit the throttle and keep it moving. It feels like a manual trans stuck in fourth gear and no clutch. I have been searching for a few days online and have not found anybody with the same problem. All connections on trans appear good. Anybody?
Ken

Pull fuse and/or disconnect TCU and try shifting manually. IF that's the case then the TCU has probably failed. Otherwise solenoids may have failed.

Check the fuse to the TCU for sure. Then find the AW4 manual, or the threads here on testing the 3 solenoids and the wiring between them and the TCU for a bad connection, bad ground, or bad electric solenoids. Try 1-2, then 3, manually with the TCU disconnected. If they work, it is the TCU, fuse, wires, or solenoids. If not, it is a hyrdauilic problem in the AW4 itself.

Back