• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cannot move shifter to 1-2

crashbig

NAXJA Forum User
Ok got a few days off for turkey day so thought I'd pick your brains. 89 with a aw4 and I cannot move the shifter past 3rd, took the cover off and it looks like the shifter bottoms out on the curved notched piece too soon, still needs 1/4 to 3/8 before it would engage 1-2. Its been like this since I bought it a couple months ago. Its got a 1 in. transfer case drop on it, not sure if that matters.

I had problems pulling mine down into 1-2 and found I had to push the side button in all the way before pulling down. Sounds silly but apprently I wasn't pushing the button in far enough. It works fine now that I figured that out.

1988 Limited w/AW4.

Good luck!

slap the top of the shift handle down onto the post, if it is not all the way on, the button does not work right to allow it to shift into all posistions

Just tap it in..
As said above most likely the plastic linkage is not contacting completely. I would pull the handle off and check the button/linkage and lube if necessary.

Ok tried that and still no go, I think something is jacked on the shift gate, the shift handle is mounted to a u shaped piece of metal, this is whats bottoming out before allowing the shifter to move farther back, don't know if that makes any sense.

When going from d to 3 or 3 to 1-2 on mine, I need to brake before the button will fully engage, then I can switch.
Not sure if that's normal or not?

Back