• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dicks little white XJ

dick.breakey

NAXJA Forum User
So yep. Im joining this bandwagon since I have a new rig and want to chronicle its life in a central location.

My purpose for this build is to stay as low as possible lift wise while getting the most tire under it. skid it up and make it capable around here. Gonna be a LCOG Expedition/camping vehicle. And Im gonna really try and follow the LCOG stips and not just throw the word around like love :gag: Besides what I have done below, I plan to build permanent storage for tools and spare parts, winch bumper, winch, and lock front and rear. The suspension will evolve as I develop/research ways to stay really low but flex too. I would really like to stay below 3" and I wont go bigger than 35"s.

Started out its life as what Im(and Dustin) sure was a fleet vehicles life. Drove a million miles and through Dustin eventually landed in my new garage.

photo-1.png

I started out by hunting down parts and taking care of a couple simple things, mainly being the surface rust in the rear. Got that knocked out pretty quick as I searched for what I wanted to do and buy for the thing.

I knew I really wanted that disco 30 to go away and I thought of the 8.25 as a suitable rear end as its plenty strong for the 33"s planned on running and done really plan on going bigger than. Plus, this would have(and was) an easy find. So joe called me after I posted up looking for axles and I picked up a set with 3.55's which was a decent step up from the 3.07's. At the same time I got with Darren(goblazers) and picked up his set of 33" crushers. They had wheels and good offset too which made them a good buy for me.

Before I knew I could head down to the middle of nowhere to pick those up I went off to prep by cutting fenders. also picked up my CB setup and got that all installed. Got that done, and got the jeep all buttoned down to make the trip back down.

After wrestling with the axles, joe finally got them in and the tires mounted up. didnt get any pics of it at stock height but it wasnt much different than these.

jeep4.jpg

jeep2.jpg

I actually started the purchase of a BB before I got up here and so far have used the rear shackles to help with clearance. While I was getting my rig all fitted out and what not, I happened to come across some tube doors from dellstopjeep and he said "sure you dont need a rear tire carrier bumper?". Well I thought about it for a minute and I said sure, and(after a bit of a battle on price) got both. When I installed the shackles I got the rear bumper installed too.

jeep6.jpg

jeep5.jpg

So im moving really quick with all this for now, as Im unemployed and want to get a lot of the big work done before I dont have the time anymore. Ive also picked up some recovery gear and a ton of new tools. As well as a lot of tools to replace my tools I left in pittsburgh last year.

next was to pick up some sliders as I know Ill be lower than most here and want to be able to get over things without cringing. im gonna try and limit the body damage when I can haha. Thanks lil bros fab.

sliders1.jpg

sliders2.jpg

So To recap so far....

33's and wheels
hp 30/8.25 with 3.55's
tire carrier bumper
sliders
CB setup
tune up

doesnt seem like much on paper, but its been a lot of hours so far in the garage haha. Keep an eye out as I continue to improve on this.

Oh and for those that dont know, I had a jeep before. Got most all the maintenance done and was a week away from buying all my lift parts and wheels/tires etc when me and me ex split. a couple of you might have even read my old build thread in the mod tech forum.

My old build

Enjoy everyone and Im a little drunk so sorry if this wasnt in the best order haha. Ill update as I go along and feel free to add comments or criticism and give heads up pointers and whatever else comes to mind. I dont mind if the thread goes off topic every now and again, just bring it back when you can :spin1:

Last edited:
Re: Dicks LCOG Build

I love LOW lifts and big tires!! There are all sorts of advantages to this concept. AND they can flex just as well as most of the taller Jeeps when they are set up well.

The only thing that really stands out at the moment is that your CB antenna is not going to last there very long on our trails here in the NW! I would really recommend moving it to a safer position (rear tire carrier, side of the hood, other less vulnerable) plus you will get better reception in either of those locations than your current one.

Looks good, I look forward to seeing the build continue!!

Michael

The only thing that really stands out at the moment is that your CB antenna is not going to last there very long on our trails here in the NW! I would really recommend moving it to a safer position (rear tire carrier, side of the hood, other less vulnerable) plus you will get better reception in either of those locations than your current one.

Michael
x2.. Mine is in that location and it's been destroyed..(n)

Well I didn't have the bumper on when I set that up, so I'll move that to the back for sure. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from your subconscious without you knowing.....

Wer are going to have to go on some trips, I'm totally into the expedition exploration stuff,

I have my cb antenna in the same spot on the passenger side, its up at the body line though,

Only time I've ever hit it was when I backed into a phone pole.... :-/

Sent from somewhere in the Northwest

Looking good.

Of course a lot of this will be dictated by how hard core your wheeling is going to be but
if you set up the CB right it will work fine with a shorter antenna off the tire carrier. That way it will not flop around as much. X2 on keeping the lift minimal. I think, in retrospect, that one of my best bang for the buck mods was the HD engineering shackle relocation brackets. They get you some rear flex which is critical if you do not have a ton of clearance. Also some kind of skid for your LCA mounts.

Wingnut I'm definitely down. Especially to track up some mountains or what not to get good views and all that.

I don't plan on wheeling real hardcore. I don't necessarily like to break shit and I have a heavy right foot so I'm working on tryin to fix that. But some of the things you mentioned I'll do. I have a front skid and tank skid so I have some other protection too.

And the hilift really isn't that high. It jus looks really tall in the pics for some reason haha

Sent from your subconscious without you knowing.....

Did you get a new window yet?:shhh:

-Alex

Haha no. Been out of town and today I've been at the dealer buying a new car today. I should get it fixed by te Xmas tree run tho.

Who would have thought needle nose pliars could do that. I'll try and get pics up tonight or tomorrow morning. Probably tomorrow haha

nice flores. haha. you poor anymore beer on someone elses head, aka pull a flores, recently?

yano...ive never poured a beer on any one elses head ever before.....
but then again ive never licked my finger and stuck it in any ones girlfriends ear before either......good times

Hey D just to clear my head is this lift a bb or 3 inch lift? Eflores doesn't matter what forum ur on, you always seem to show how tall you are with your words. Like the build!

Hey D just to clear my head is this lift a bb or 3 inch lift? Eflores doesn't matter what forum ur on, you always seem to show how tall you are with your words. Like the build!

No lift, it looks damn good in person

Thanks Joe :cheers:

Adrenaline, yeah its all stock. I did put 1.75(i think) shackles in the back to level out the sag, but thats it. It now sits pretty much right at level.

Alright. Well I decided for sure to pick up Daves locker this weekend so Ill have a locked 30 next week. Got some tow hooks so ill have a front tow point too for this weekend and whenever else I go out. Called a guy for some hockey pucks so i can bumpstop accordingly. also scheduled all-star glass to go ahead and come fix my driver window tomorrow so I wont be driving down freezing my ass off with a wide open driver window haha.

Heres the plans for the next couple months: Buy locked 8.25 with 4.56's from a buddy, regear the 30 to match.

A couple months after that: small lift, sell the 33"s, buy 35"s, buy detours front winch mount with d rings.

Damn Im ready to get a paycheck coming in again haha

Back