• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Upgrade for 2" Lift

HMGanja

NAXJA Forum User
I have a deathwobble problem and plan to change out pretty much the whole steering system soon. Looking around, I find that most (if not all) aftermarket systems are designed for lifts of 3-4+". However I only have ~2" from coil spacers. Eventually Ill have an OME kit on which is about the same height. So is there any HD kits designed for my situation or do I need to just buy factory replacements like CROWN products? Looking for a quallity product that will last. Thanks for any input!:cheers:
BTW: its a '99 with stock everything minus HD leaf springs and ~2" coil spacers to level it out. OME soon!!!!!!

Adjustable trackbar/possibly bracket, replacement draglink, and I recommend Ironman4x4fab HD tierod/TRE's otherwise if you can find in the junkyard a Zj tie rod.

The crown HD steering is decent enough (it's basically the ZJ kit) and it's a good price.

Do you run this kit personally?

I do, yes. IIRC i paid something like $115 for it. It's just like the stock XJ stuff except it's much, much beefier. It's just the ZJ (Grand Cherokee) steering but it's a big improvement and the price can't be beat.

does upgrading the XJ tie rod actually give a noticeable change in the way the steering feels?
With replacing worn out joints, the steering will be better. And an upgrade for the same or a little more money is insurance that it will last.
The ironman4x4fab (and some others) tie rods use larger dia. TRE's with stock taper.

At 2" of lift, you should not even have issues with DW. The stock track bar is up to the task, as well as the stock tie rod, assuming all is in serviceable condition.

DW is a harmonic issue. Tires/wheels out of round or out of balance. Worn ball joints. Worn tie rod ends. Worn Trackbar. Trackbar end not tightened down (either side). Control Arm Bushings worn. Castor out of adjustment. Toe In out of adjustment.

All these, or a combination can cause DW.

As far as Cheap steering upgrades:

ZJ tie rod kit - mentioned before. Essentially same cost as XJ components, but solid.

Stock track bar is good for 4 or so inches of lift, just move the hole at the axle inward, and clearance the bracket to allow up travel. I've used that up to 5.5" of list without issue, and a replacement is as close as the local autoparts store.

-Ron

Back