• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobble ... anyone ever have it!?

Miller88

NAXJA Forum User
I have a dead right rear shock and no right front shock due to broken bar pin bolts. My front swaybar is disconnected and there isn't a rear.

Last night I had 2 sets of tires in the back of my heep stacked to the roof (4x 215/75-15 and 4x 225 75/15), 2 donuts (from my XJ and Focus), tools, car battery, etc.

Anyway,

I made a left turn onto a choppy road that was a bit off camber. The jeep got going back and fourth to the left and right so bad I ended up having to stop on the side of the road and wait for a second for it to stop rocking.

Moral of the story ... Reconnect swaybar and fix broken shock / shock mounts.

Re: Death Wallow ... anyone ever have it!?

ps the proper term is death wobble and yep more than a few times the ultimate cure was hydro assist right to the tie rod... Doesn't matter whats outta whack now it works great..

themud

Or get good stiff springs and shocks...:D My Jeep is quite stable with little to know wallowing at 5.5" and no sway bars.

If I hook up my swaybar (the rear is in the back seat of my Focus) mine rides like it's on rails ... or a truck.

10 ply load range E truck tires.

Oh, and if I inflate them to 70psi, my Jeep will bounce!

I picked Death Wollow for the title of this excellent book because I was going left to right. My steering wheel, axles and tires were fine. It was the jeep that was a rockin (from tires ... it's too small in the back to make it rock from other things ... like engines)

Back